- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
SCIENCE VS. PSEUDOSCIENCE.
1. The Appeal of Pseudoscience: Astrology Thrives on the Gullibility Gene.
2. The Popularity of Predictions: Call Us Unpredictable.
3. The Misuses of Opinion Polls: For Whom Do the Polls Toll? The Silenced Majority.
4. The Misuses of Pop-Psych Surveys: Method Gets Lost in the Imagery of Social Science Fiction.
5. Stories versus Statistics: Anecdotes: Coat Hangers of Truth.
6. Illusory Correlations: The Illogic of Linking Pornography and Rape.
7. Thinking Critically about Alternative Medicine: Review of The Alternative Medicine Handbook, Barrie Cassileth.
8. Thinking Critically about Mystical Messages: Review of Nonconscious Movements: From Mystical Messages to Facilitated Communication, Herman Spitz.
CONTROVERSIES IN CHILD DEVELOPMENT.
9. The Working Mother Debate: Review of A Mother's Place, Susan Chira.
10. How Much Influence Do Mothers Have?: Even Moms Can't Guarantee a Perfect Life.
11. How Much Influence Do Parents Have?: Review of The Nurture Assumption, Judith Rich Harris.
12. How Critical Are the First Years of Life?: Review of The Myth of the First Three Years, John T. Bruer.
THE POLITICS AND SCIENCE OF GENDER RESEARCH.
13. Are Men and Women "Opposite Sexes"?: Disarmament for the Gender Wars.
14. The Interpretation of Differences, I: How Friendship was "Feminized."
15. The Interpretation of Differences, II: Misreading the Gender Gap.
16. The Paradox of Gender: Review of The Two Sexes, Eleanor Maccoby.
17. Biological Politics and the Study of Gender: Rules of the Road for Biological Research.
APPLYING PSYCHOLOGY TO SOCIAL ISSUES
18. Emotional Epidemics and Their Consequences: Review of Hystories: Hysterical Epidemics and Modern Media, Elaine Showalter.
19. The Day-Care Sex-Abuse Scandals: A Day-Care Witch Hunt Tests Justice in Massachusetts.
20. The Death Penalty: Passion's Posse Claims a Victim.
21. The War on Drugs: Drop the Iron Fist and Try Rules of Moderation.
22. Adolescent Violence: Violence Is a Symptom, Not an Inevitability.
23. Bystander Apathy: In Groups, We Shrink from Loner's Heroics.
24. The Sources of Happiness: Review of Flow: The Psychology of Optimal Experience, Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi.
25. The Meanings of Self-Esteem: Who Stole Grit from Self-Esteem?
26. Sexual Orientation: Review of The Invention of Homosexuality, Jonathan Ned Katz
MENTAL DISORDER AND TREATMENT.
27. Medicating the Mind: Review of Listening to Prozac, Peter Kramer.
28. The Limits of Medication: We're Only Hearing about the Quick Fix.
29. The Politics of Diagnosis: "PMS" and the DSM: You Haven't Come Very Far, Baby.
30. Thinking Critically about Psychotherapy: Review of House of Cards, Robyn Dawes.