Psychology and Life / Edition 17by Richard J. Gerrig, Philip G. Zimbardo
Pub. Date: 05/14/2004
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
This classic book is built around the central theme of presenting psychology as a science and applying that science to our daily lives. Psychology and Life continues to provide a rigorous, research-based presentation that demonstrates that this research has immediate in daily life. For Intro Psychology students, or anyone with an interest in the subject. See more details below
This classic book is built around the central theme of presenting psychology as a science and applying that science to our daily lives. Psychology and Life continues to provide a rigorous, research-based presentation that demonstrates that this research has immediate in daily life. For Intro Psychology students, or anyone with an interest in the subject.
- Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.68(w) x 9.78(h) x 1.20(d)
Table of Contents
1. The Science of Psychology in Your Life.
What Makes Psychology Unique?
Psychology in Your Life: Why Study Psychology.
What Psychologists Do.
Psychology in the 21st Century: The Future is Now.
2. Research Methods in Psychology.
The Context of Discovery.
The Context of Justification: Safeguards for Objectivity.
Ethical Issues in Human and Animal Research.
Becoming a Wiser Research Consumer.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Psychological Research and the Information Explosion.
3. The Biological Bases of Behavior.
Heredity and Behavior.
Biology and Behavior.
The Nervous System in Action.
Psychology in Your Life: How Do Life Experiences Affect Your Brain?
4. Sensation Sensory Knowledge of the World.
The Visual System.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Can Technology Restore Sight?
Your Other Senses.
Psychology in Your Life: Why is "Hot" Food Painful?
Sensing, Organizing, Identifying, Recognizing.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Virtual Reality.
Organizational Processes in Perception.
Psychology in Your Life: How Do You Catch a Fly Ball?
Identification and Recognition Processes.
6. Mind, Consciousness, and Alternate States.
The Contents of Consciousness.
The Functions of Consciousness.
Psychology in Your Life: When Do Children Acquire Consciousness?
Sleep and Dreams.
Psychology in the 21st Century: The 24/7 Lifestyle and Sleep.
Altered States of Consciousness.
7. Learning and Behavior Analysis
The Study of Learning.
Classical Conditioning: Learning Predictable Signals.
Operant Conditioning: Learning About Consequences.
Psychology in Your Life: Spare the Rod, Spoil the Child?
Biology and Learning.
Cognitive Influences on Learning.
What is Memory?
Short-term Memory and Working Memory.
Long-Term Memory: Encoding and Retrieval.
Psychology in Your Life: How Can Memory Research Help You Prepare for Exams?
Structures in Long-Term Memory.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Human Memory Searches and Web Searches.
Biological Aspects of Memory.
9. Cognitive Processes.
Psychology in Your Life: Can Nonhuman Animals Learn Language?
Problem Solving and Reasoning.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Expert Systems and Medicine.
Judging and Deciding.
10. Intelligence and Intelligence Testing.
What Is Assessment?
Psychology in the 21st Century: Assessment on the World Wide Web.
Theories of Intelligence.
The Politics of Intelligence.
Assessment and Society.
11. Human Development Across the Life Span.
Studying and Explaining Development.
Physical Development Across the Life Span.
Cognitive Development Across the Life Span.
Social Development Across the Life Span.
Psychology in Your Life: How Does Day Care Affect Children's Development.
Learning to Age Successfully.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Genes and Obesity.
Motivation for Personal Achievement.
Psychology in Your Life: Can Psychology Help Find Me a Career?
13. Emotion, Stress, and Health Emotions.
Stress of Living.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Healthy People 2010
Psychology in Your Life: Does Your Personality Affect Your Health.
14. Understanding Human Personality.
Type and Train Personality Theories.
Psychology in Your Life: Why Are Some People Shy?
Social-Learning and Cognitive Theories.
Psychology in the 21st Century: The Self on the Internet.
Comparing Personality Theories.
15. Psychological Disorders.
The Nature of Psychological Disorders.
Classifying Psychological Disorders.
Psychology in Your Life: Is "Insanity" Really a Defense?
Major Types of Psychological Disorders.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Does "Internet Addiction" Exist?
The Stigma of Mental Illness.
16. Therapies for Personal Change.
The Therapeutic Context.
Psychology in Your Life: Are Lives Haunted by Repressed Memories?
Psychology in the 21st Century: Therapy in the Age of Computers.
Does Therapy Work?
17. Social Processes and Relationships.
The Power of the Situation.
Psychology in Your Life: How Do Groups Affect Decision Making?
Constructing Social Reality.
Attitudes, Attitude Change, and Action.
Psychology in the 21st Century: Relationships and the Internet.
18. Social Psychology, Society, and Culture.
Altruism and Prosocial Behavior.
Psychology in the 21st Century: The World Grows Smaller.
The Psychology of Conflict and Peace.
Psychology in Your Life: Why Do People Join Cults?
A Personal Endnote.
- Exam Copy / 0-205-34191-8
- Instructor's Manual / 0-205-34454-2
- Test Bank / 0-205-34453-4
- Call-In and Fax Testing (call Engineering Software Associates, 1-800-550-1701)
- Powerpoint Presentation CD-ROM with Instructor's Manual / 0-205-34451-8
- Discovery Psychology Telecourse Faculty Guide / 0-205-34458-5
- Digital Media Archive for Psychology 3.0 / 0-205-34963-3
- Allyn & Bacon Mind Matters CD-ROM Faculty Guide / 0-205-32214-X
- (Developed by James Hilton of the University of Michigan and Charles Perdue of West Virginia State College): This helpful instructor resource offers detailed overviews of each unit of the Mind Matters CD-ROM, supplemented by additional test questions and chapter-by-chapter references correlating content from the CD-ROM with the Kosslyn and Rosenberg textbook. This in-depth guide makes it easy to integrate the Allyn and Bacon Mind Matters CD-ROM into your syllabus.
- Allyn & Bacon Psychology Transparencies, 2001 / 0-205-34364-3
- High School Version IBM Computerized Test Bank (CD-Rom) / 0-205-35210-3
- High School Version MAC Computerized Test Bank (Disk) / 0-205-35209-X
- Computerized Test Bank (Windows CD-ROM and disk; Mac disk)
- (Sales Support) and disk; Mac disk; DOS disk upon request) (Sales Support)
- Student Study Guide / 0-205-34456-9
- CourseCompass Student PIN / 0-205-35123-9
- Practice Tests / 0-205-34457-7
- (Value Package Option Only)
- Allyn & Bacon Mind Matters CD-ROM / 0-205-32179-8
- (Developed by James Hilton of the University of Michigan and Charles Perdue of West Virginia State College): A unique learning tool, the Mind Matters CD-ROM helps students explore psychology by combining interactivity with clear explanation, fostering active learning and reinforcing core concepts in the introductory psychology course. This CD-ROM contains a wide range of learning opportunities including activities with immediate scoring and feedback, video clips of historical experiments and current research, animations, simulations, and an interactive glossary. Introductions and conclusions are provided to place all activities in context. Learning is reinforced through two forms of student assessment, Rapid Reviews after each topic and more extensive Quick Quizzes after each unit. Easy navigation allows students to work through each Unit in a linear or non-linear format. The Mind Matters CD-ROM is accompanied by an extensive Faculty Guide with descriptions of all activities, outlines, text correlation guides, and test questions for each Unit.
- Diversity Activities for Psychology / 0-205-29638-6
- • Provides hands-on activities to incorporate diversity into psychology classes, with an in-depth instructor's manual providing guidance for assigning the activities. • 78 individual activities cover all major areas of psychological research. • Includes broad range of activities, including those related to cross-cultural, ethnic minority, gender diversity, sexual orientation, aging, social class and learning and physical disability issues. • Instructor's Manual includes clear instructions on how to integrate activities.
- Ask Dr. Mike: Frequently Asked Questions about Psychology / 0-205-33109-2
- • A brief supplemental text containing high-interest student questions and answers about a wide variety of topics in introductory psychology. • A take-off of the popular “Ask Dr. Mike” feature found on The Psychology Place Website. • Can be packaged with any intro psych or general psych course. • Features many of the most interesting questions and answers from The Psychology Place Website.
- How to Think Straight About Psychology / 0-321-04713-3
- • This widely used supplement focuses on applying critical thinking techniques to standard concepts in psychology and teaches students to recognize and critically appraise pseudoscience. • Provides instructors with the opportunity to teach critical thinking skills within rich context of modern psychology. • Helps students become more critical and discriminating consumers of psychological information. • An intriguing table of contents and updated examples enhance student interest. • Excellent supplement to any introductory psychology, research methods or experimental methodology course.
- Evaluating Psychological Information: Sharpening Your Critical Thinking Skills / 0-205-28635-6
- • Brief paperbound supplement written primarily for introductory psychology courses.
- How to Write Psychology Papers / 0-321-04466-5
- WebCT & Blackboard Student PIN (Valuepack item only) / 0-205-33641-8
- FREE to students when packaged with a new textbook! Not sold separately
- Discovering Psychology Telecourse Study Guide / 0-205-34455-0
- WebCT & Blackboard Student PIN (Standalone) / 0-205-33637-X
- Available for purchase separate from the text.
- ContentSelect for Psychology (PIN Required) / 0-205-35427-0
- ContentSelect Student PIN for Psychology (Valuepack item only) / 0-205-35285-5
- Companion Website
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >