- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Quality of Service is expected to become the most important communications topic in the new millennium.
The acclaimed author, Gilbert Held, provides a comprehensive guide to obtaining a Quality of Service (QoS) capability in a Cisco hardware environment.
Today there are many aspects of the QoS 'puzzle' and Cisco is providing users with a wide range of solutions. Some solutions are well known but do not scale for use on the Internet or on a large corporate Intranet. Other solutions must be used in conjunction with different schemes for true end-to-end QoS. That is where this book comes in, providing a guide to the various pieces of the QoS puzzle.
Quality of Service in a Cisco Networking Environment:
* Is a one-stop location to obtain complete and concise information about achieving QoS for applications transported over local and wireless area networks.
* Provides a tutorial on the operation of different QoS techniques (IEEE 802.1p, 802.1Q, Differentiated Services, and RSVP).
* Describes Cisco Router QoS and Switch QoS commands.
* Gives examples of QoS configurations.
* Includes a series of easy to implement IP and Frame Relay traffic enhancement techniques.
Written for the local and wide area network planners and managers, local area network administrators and router administrators, every chapter initially guides the reader through the theory behind a specific QoS technique. This information is then followed with a series of Cisco command examples tailored to a specific QoS technique. Readers learn both how a QoS technique operates and how to place it into effect in a Cisco environment.
1. The Meaning of Quality of Service.
2. Working at Layer 2.
The IEEE 802.1p Signalling Technique.
Configuring Cisco(r) Equipment.
3. QOS into the WAN.
The IP Protocol Stack.
The IPv4 Header.
First-in, First-out Queuing.
Classifying Traffic Via the Arrival Interface.
4. Diffserv and MPLS.
Supporting DiffServ in a Cisco Environment.
Multi-Protocol Label Switching.
5. The Resource Preservation Protocol.
6. QOS Enhancement Techniques.
Enabling Static Routing.
Enhancing the Address Resolution Process.
Tailor the Access Line.
Enabling RTP Header Compression.
Enabling Other Compression Methods.
Eliminate Directed Broadcasts.
Enable Selective Acknowledgements.
Enable Link Fragmentaton and Interleaving.
7. Monitoring Your Network.
The Show Command.
IP-Related Show Commands.
Appendix: Testing Tools.