Queer Studies: An Interdiciplinary Reader / Edition 1by Robert J. Corber
Pub. Date: 01/20/2003
Queer Studies: An Interdisciplinary Reader is a collection of essays that over the past decade have helped to establish sexuality as one of the most vital and important areas of study in both the humanities and social sciences. Accessible as well as broadly interdisciplinary, the volume functions as a primary text for introductory as well as advanced/i>… See more details below
Queer Studies: An Interdisciplinary Reader is a collection of essays that over the past decade have helped to establish sexuality as one of the most vital and important areas of study in both the humanities and social sciences. Accessible as well as broadly interdisciplinary, the volume functions as a primary text for introductory as well as advanced courses in gender and sexuality studies, as a general introduction to the field, and as a scholarly resource.
Queer Studies covers the full range of issues, problems, and controversies in this still emerging field, including sexual politics, cultural constructions of sexuality, transnationalism, race and class, community, sexual citizenship, and the nation-state. An introductory essay written by the editors provides a comprehensive map to this new field, as well as a context for pivotal scholarship that promotes dialogue across the humanities and the social sciences and the interdisciplinary fields of queer studies and women's studies.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.80(w) x 9.75(h) x 0.68(d)
Table of Contents
Part I: Practices, Identities, Communities:.
1. Martha M. Umphrey, The Trouble With Harry Thaw.
2. Cheryl Chase, Hermaphrodites With Attitude: An Emergence Of Intersex Political Activism.
3. Cathy J. Cohen, Contested Membership: Black Gay Identities And The Politics Of AIDS.
4. C. Jacob Hale, Leatherdyke Boys And Their Daddies: How To Have Sex Without Women Or Men.
Part II: The Cultural Construction of Gender and Sexuality:.
5. Lisa Duggan, The Trials Of Alice Mitchell: Sensationalism, Sexology, And The Lesbian Subject In Turn-Of-The-Century America.
6. Jennifer Devere Brody, The Returns Of Cleopatra Jones.
7. Laura Kipnis, (Male) Desire And (Female) Disgust: Reading Hustler.
Part III: Sexual Citizenship And The Nation-State:.
8. Nayan Shah, Perversity, Contamination, And The Dangers Of Queer Domesticity.
9. John Howard, The Talk Of The County: Revisiting Accusation, Murder, And Mississippi, 1895.
10. Judith Halberstam, The Brandon Teena Archive.
11. Lauren Berlant And Michael Warner, Sex In Public.
Part IV: Transnationalizing Sexualities:.
12. Jennifer Robertson, Dying To Tell: Sexuality And Suicide In Imperial Japan.
13. Gayatri Gopinath, Nostalgia, Desire, Diaspora: South Asian Sexualities In Motion.
14. Tom Boellstorff, The Perfect Path: Gay Men, Marriage, Indonesia.
15. Don Kulick, A Man In The House: The Boyfriends Of Brazilian Travesti Prostitutes.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >