The Quickening of America: Rebuilding Our Nation, Remaking Our Lives / Edition 1by Frances Moore Lappe, Paul Martin Du Bois
Pub. Date: 04/01/1994
--ReverAnd Jesse L. Jackson, president and founder, National Rainbow
I highly recommAnd Quickening as an extremely useful and practical guide. It reaffirms that personal and social change are intertwined; that each of us counts; that our lives do make a difference; and that, through involvement and by developing our skills, we can make an even greater difference.
--ReverAnd Jesse L. Jackson, president and founder, National Rainbow Coalition
An antidote to cynicism . . . an essential 'how-to' manual for anyone interested in translating values into positive results.
--Ben Cohen, Ben & Jerry's
Exploding the popular myths about public life, power, and self-interest that stop individuals from discovering the rewards of public involvement, this thoughtful resource offers practical advice from ordinary Americans on how to get more involved. Details guidelines anyone can use to master the skills required to be effective in public life.
Table of ContentsOVERCOMING THE MYTHS THAT LIMIT US.
1. A Powerful New Concept for Effective Living.
2. We Each Have a Public Life.
3. Claiming Our Self-Interest (It's Not Selfishness).
4. Discovering Power (It's Not a Dirty Word).
AMERICA COMING ALIVE: THE INVISIBLE REVOLUTION.
5. Our Jobs, Our Economy, and Our Lives.
6. Making the Media Our Voice.
7. From Client to Citizen.
8. Governing "By the People".
9. Educating Real-World Problem Solvers.
LIVING DEMOCRACY: THE PRACTICAL TOOLS.
10. Mastering the Arts of Democracy: One-on-One Skills.
11. Mastering the Arts of Democracy: Group Skills.
12. Embracing the Democratic Self.
13. What, No Manifesto?
Resources for Building a Living Democracy.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >