Race, Racism and Sports Journalismby Neil Farrington, Daniel Kilvington, John Price, Amir Saeed
Beginning with a theoretical discussion of race, sport and media, this book critically examines issues of race, racism and sports journalism and offers practical advice on sports reporting, including a discussion of guidelines for ethical journalism. In a series of case studies, representations of race will be explored through historical and contemporary analysis
Beginning with a theoretical discussion of race, sport and media, this book critically examines issues of race, racism and sports journalism and offers practical advice on sports reporting, including a discussion of guidelines for ethical journalism. In a series of case studies, representations of race will be explored through historical and contemporary analysis of international media coverage, including online and digital platforms. The background and impacts of these representations will also be discussed through interviews with athletes and sports journalists.
Subjects covered include:
- cricket in the UK, Australian and Asian media, with particular focus on Pakistan
- athletics and media representations of athletes, including a study of the reporting of South African runner Caster Semenya
- football and the under-representation of British-Asians, with an analysis of how race is constructed in the digital arena
- boxing with particular reference to Muhammad Ali, America and Islam
- Formula One and analysis of the media reporting, international spectator response and racism towards Lewis Hamilton, described in the media as the first black driver.
Finally, the book will analyse the make-up of sports journalism, examining the causes and consequences of a lack of diversity within the profession.
- Taylor & Francis
- Publication date:
Meet the Author
Daniel Kilvington lectures at the University of Sunderland and is studying for a PhD in Media and Cultural Studies.
Neil Farrington is a Senior Lecturer in Sports Journalism at the University of Sunderland, and a multi award-nominated sports journalist with 18 years’ experience.
Dr. John Price is a Senior Lecturer and Programme Leader for Sports Journalism at the University of Sunderland.
Dr. Amir Saeed is Programme Leader for Media, Culture and Communication at the University of Sunderland and Online Tutor for MA Mass Communication Theory at the University of Leicester.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >