- Symphony No. 1 in D minor, Op. 13 (lost; reconstructed from piano duets and orch. fragments) - Sergey Rachmaninov - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - Lucy Gowans - Dennis Collins
- Symphonic Dances, for orchestra (or 2 pianos), Op. 45 - Sergey Rachmaninov - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - Lucy Gowans - Dennis Collins
- Symphony No. 2 in E minor, Op. 27 - Sergey Rachmaninov - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - Lucy Gowans - Dennis Collins
- The Isle of the Dead, symphonic poem, Op. 29 - Sergey Rachmaninov - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - Lucy Gowans - Dennis Collins
- Symphony No. 3 in A minor, Op. 44 - Sergey Rachmaninov - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra Amsterdam - Lucy Gowans - Dennis Collins
- The Bells, choral symphony for soprano, tenor, baritone, chorus & orchestra, Op. 35 - Sergey Rachmaninov - Tom Krause - Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra and Chorus Amsterdam - Natalia Troitskaya - Lucy Gowans - Dennis Collins
- Release Date:
Performance CreditsVladimir Ashkenazy Primary Artist
Write a Review
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
Rachmaninoff: The Symphonies based on 0 ratings. 3 reviews.
This CD collection is probably one of the best Rachmaninov CD's I own. I mainly own recordings of his piano concertos, which all 4 are magnificent, but now I've grown to love his orchestral ability. The 1st Symphony is what ruined Rachmaninov's reputation in his early life because of the disastrous premiere. Rachmaninov wasn't conducting, but the man who did must have had no idea what he was doing at that podium because this symphony is fantastic! It's great the whole way through but I always enjoy the ending because of it's intensity. The 2nd and most well-known symphony could be a reason for people to buy this whole package. Out of 3 performances I have heard of the 2nd, this is the most emotional. I don't think you can have a good symphony unless you feel affected by it and after you listen to this recording of the 2nd, you'll feel very touched. The 3rd was very good but just doesn't stand out as well as the first two. I'm glad this collection put in some extra orchestral works because they are very meaningful. The best performances I've heard of ''The Isle Of The Dead'' and ''Symphonic Dances'' are on this disc. ''The Isle of the Dead'' will send chills throughout your spine almost the entire time. ''Symphonic Dances'' are just how I think the composer intended them to be. They're played with a very clear and crisp sound. I had never heard one note of ''The Bells'' until I bought it, but I'm glad I have a recording of it now. All the performers give an emotional performance of it. ( the lyrics come with the CD in Russian, English, French, and German) Overall this is a CD collection Rachmaninov fans should most definitely have.
Thes CD's are the ultimate must have Rachmaninov collection. The performance and recording are absolutely perfect.