Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography / Edition 6by Kelli Haynes, Paula J. Visconti, E. Russell Ritenour
Pub. Date: 02/23/2010
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
A full-color resource, Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography, 7th Edition makes it easy to understand both basic and complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics. Concise coverage promotes the safe use of ionizing radiation in all imaging modalities, including the effects of radiation on humans at the cellular and systemic levels, regulatory
A full-color resource, Radiation Protection in Medical Radiography, 7th Edition makes it easy to understand both basic and complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics. Concise coverage promotes the safe use of ionizing radiation in all imaging modalities, including the effects of radiation on humans at the cellular and systemic levels, regulatory and advisory limits for human exposure to radiation, and the implementation of radiation safety practices for patients and personnel. This edition includes NEW content on the impact of radiation levels during the nuclear power plant crisis that followed the 2011 earthquake/tsunami in Japan. From an author team led by well-known radiation protection expert Mary Alice Statkiewicz Sherer, this text has consistently helped students perform well on the ARRT exam!
"...well written and easy to comprehend". Reviewed by Kirsten Farrell on behalf of RAD Magazine, March 2015
- Full-color illustrations reinforce important information.
- Convenient, easy-to-use features include chapter outlines and objectives, highlighting of key terms, and bulleted summaries and review questions to enhance comprehension and retention.
- Clear and concise writing style covers complex concepts in radiation protection, biology, and physics in a building-block approach from basic to more complex concepts.
- Review questions are included at the end of chapters to assess your comprehension, with answers on the Evolve companion website.
- Coverage of historical radiological disasters includes photos and text on Hiroshoma, Chernobyl, and Three-Mile Island.
- UPDATED! NCRP and ICRP content includes guidelines, regulations, and radiation quantities and units, explaining the effects of low-level ionizing radiation, demonstrating the link between radiation and cancer and other diseases, and providing the regulatory perspective needed for practice.
- NEW! Discussion of Total Effective Dose Equivalent (TEDE) covers the radiation dosimetry quantity defined by the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission to monitor and control human exposure to ionizing radiation.
- NEW! Coverage of the Fukushima Daiichi Nuclear Plant Crisis addresses the impact of radiation levels following Japan’s earthquake/tsunami in March 2011.
- NEW! TRACE section covers the Tools for Radiation Awareness and Community Education program, a two-phase approach to radiation dose awareness and overall patient dose reduction through a joint venture of AHRA and Toshiba’s Putting Patients First.
- NEW! Discussion of the FDA white paper: Initiative to Reduce Unnecessary Exposure from Medical Imaging promotes the safe use of medical imaging devices, supports informed clinical decision making, and leads to increased patient awareness.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.60(d)
Table of Contents1.Introduction to Radiation Protection
2.Radiation: Types, Sources and Doses Received
3.Interaction of X-Radiation with Matter
4.Radiation Quantities and Units
6.Overview of Cell Biology
7.Molecular and Cellular Radiation Biology
8.Early Deterministic Radiation Effects on Organ Systems
9.Late Deterministic and Stochastic Radiation Effects on Organ Systems
10.Dose Limits for Exposure to Ionizing Radiation
11.Equipment Design for Radiation Protection
12.Management of Patient Radiation Dose during Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures
13.Management of Imaging Personnel Radiation Dose During Diagnostic X-Ray Procedures
14.Radioisotopes and Radiation Protection
A.Relationships between Systems of Units
B.Standard Designations for Metric System Lengths, Electron Volt Energy Levels, and Frequency Spectrum Ranges
C.Periodic Table of Elements
D.Chance of a 50-KeV Photon Interacting with Atoms of Tissue as it Travels Through 5 cm of Soft Tissue
E.Relationship among Protons, Electromagnetic Waves, Wavelengths and Energy
F.Electron Shell Structure of the Atom
G.Revision of 10 CFR Part 35*
H.Consumer-Patient Radiation Health and Safety Act of 1981
Answers to Review Questions
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >