Mark J. Camp, a geology professor at the University of Toledo, serves as a national director of the Railroad Station Historical Society. His other Images of Rail titles include Railroad Depots of Northwest Ohio and Railroad Depots of West Central Ohio.
Railroad Depots of Northeast Ohioby Mark J . Camp
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
The first rail lines in northeast Ohio opened for business in July 1850, and by the 1890s, northeast Ohio was laced with railroad tracks. Cleveland was the hub of railroad activity, and important rail-served lake ports developed at Ashtabula, Conneaut, Fairport Harbor, Huron, and Lorain. Akron became a center of southerly east-west lines. Over 310 passenger and combination depots were established at various points along the railroads to serve the needs of passengers traveling throughout northeast Ohio. Depots were the focal point of communities--news arrived over their telegraphs, traveling salesmen gathered on the trackside platforms, depot staff maneuvered four-wheel wagons loaded with baggage, parcels, and milk cans, locals gathered to meet, greet, and send off family and friends. The depot was a veritable beehive of activity at train time. Railroad Depots of Northeast Ohio offers a glimpse into these golden years of train travel through the use of early postcards and photographs of selected depots and related structures.
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >