Random House Webster's Pocket Legal Dictionary / Edition 3by Random House
Pub. Date: 08/07/2007
Publisher: Diversified Publishing
Features of this legal
The law touches almost every aspect of life, and the language of law is accordingly as broad and complex as human experience itself. Defining, refining, debating, interpreting, and applying the words of constitutions, statutes, contracts, wills, judicial opinions, and other legal writings is a major preoccupation of the law.
Features of this legal dictionary:
- Definitions of more than 3,000 of the most common and most important terms used in contemporary American law
- Exmaples of sentences and phrases showing how a term is used
- Subentries that flesh out the meaning of the main entry term
- Historical information, summaries of recent cases, or other commentary
- Division of certain terms into separate entries to avoid confusion between unrelated or easily conflated meanings
- copious cross references to related or contrasting terms that help to place an entry in context and clarify its scope
- An appendix summarizing all of the amendments to the United States Constitution, which are the source of so many of the most fundamental principles in American law.
- Diversified Publishing
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews
As a first year law student my bag weighs enough with my course books. I would find myself looking for a quick reference for terms that pop up in the reading. This legal dictionary is the perfect size to throw in my bag for a quick reference without adding additional weight.