The Reading Teacher's Survival Kit: Ready-to-Use Checklists, Activities and Materials to Help All Students Become Successful Readers / Edition 1by Wilma H. Miller Ed.D.
Pub. Date: 06/07/2002
The strategies and materials presented give you
This unique instructional resource is packed with ready-to-use time- and work-savers for virtually every aspect of the reading teacher's job, including over 120 reproducible activity sheets, assessment devices, and management tools to help students of all ability levels learn to read as proficiently as possible.
The strategies and materials presented give you the best of whole language and phonics instruction for setting up an appropriate, well-paced reading program that meets the needs of individual students, small groups, or the entire class. They cover the full range of reading skills and provide a variety of games, activities, and reproducibles for reinforcing each skill.
For quick access and easy use, the Kit is organized into eight sections and printed in a big 8-1/4" x 11" spiral-bound format that folds flat for photocopying of any page as many times as needed. Here's just a sampling of the practical help you'll find in this remarkable resource:
- Dozens of ready-to-use assessment aids to determine students' specific reading strengths and weaknesses, including a complete Individual Reading Inventory (IRI) with reproducible word lists, oral reading passages, and observation checklists from the preprimary to grades 10-12 reading levels
- Over 80 stimulating hands-on games and activity sheets to build students' skills in letter-name knowledge, sight word recognition, word structure, context clues, vocabulary, reading comprehension, and more
- Step-by-step guidelines, activities and reproducibles for teaching phonics, an important and sometimes neglected reading skill
- Up-to-date information and materials for teaching reading to students with special needs,including children with learning disabilities, attention deficit disorders, and dyslexia as well as children from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
- Specific techniques for enlisting the support of family members and friends in a child's reading program, including three reading checklists at the preschool, primary grade, and intermediate grade levels and four games family members can use to review sight words and phonic skills
- Comprehensive lists of fiction and nonfiction trade books that reinforce the learning of essential reading skills - from alphabet and rhyme books to multicultural literature
The strategies and materials presented here provide the best of whole language and phonics instruction for setting up an appropriate, well-paced reading program that meets the needs of individual students, small groups, or the entire class, grades K-8. For quick and easy access, the Kit is organized into eight sections and includes such practical information as:
- Over 80 stimulating hands-on games and activity sheets to build students’ skills in letter-name knowledge, sight word recognition, word structure, and more.
- Up-to-date information and materials for teaching reading to students with special needs
- Comprehensive lists of fiction and nonfiction trade books that reinforce the learning of essential reading skills
Author Biography: Wilma H. Miller, Ed.D., is Professor Emerita of Reading Education at Illinois State University in Normal, where she taught for over 30 years. Dr. Miller has written nearly 200 published journal articles dealing with various aspects of reading. She has authored 17 books in the field.
Table of ContentsThe Practical Help That This Book Offers.
Chapter 1: Introduction.
Chapter 2: Assessing Reading Strengths and Weaknesses..
Chapter 3: Improving Ability in Letter Name Knowledge and Sight Word Knowledge.
Chapter 4: Improving Ability in Phonics.
Chapter 5: Improving Ability in Word Structure and Context.
Chapter 6: Improving Vocabulary and Comprehension Skills.
Chapter 7: Teaching Reading to Students with Special Needs.
Chapter 8: The Support of Family Members and Friends with Reading.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >