Reading With Meaning : Strategies for College Reading / Edition 6by Dorothy Grant Hennings
Pub. Date: 05/18/2004
Reading with Meaning offers users an opportunity to improve their reading skills, as well as strategies important for success in any arena. It provides culturally significant, engaging selections from literature, popular books, and magazines that readers typically encounter daily. This book builds word power by teaching vocabulary skills,/b>/i>/b>
Reading with Meaning offers users an opportunity to improve their reading skills, as well as strategies important for success in any arena. It provides culturally significant, engaging selections from literature, popular books, and magazines that readers typically encounter daily. This book builds word power by teaching vocabulary skills, and provides information about such basic strategies as grasping the main idea of paragraphs and the thesis of an article, using clue words to anticipate meaning, thinking critically, studying for tests, and interpreting charts and graphs. Readings cover a range of topics, including history, psychology, economics, sociology, career planning, biology, geology, business, and literature, including poetry. An excellent resource for those involved in Continuing Education or ESL classes, this book is also a useful tool for anyone interested in improving their reading and comprehension skills.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Product dimensions:
- 8.20(w) x 10.80(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents(NOTE: Each chapter ends with an Extending What You Have Learned section).
I. INTRODUCTION TO READING.
1. Getting Ready to Read.
II. VOCABULARY AND READING.
2. Unlocking the Meaning of Words: Using Context Clues.
3. Unlocking the Meaning of Words: Understanding Word Elements.
4. Grasping the Main Idea of a Paragraph.
5. Paraphrasing and Inferring the Main Idea of a Selection.
6. Supporting Main Ideas with Significant Details.
7. Using Clue Words to Anticipate an Author's Thoughts.
8. Critical Thinking: Apply, Compare, Infer, Conclude, and Judge.
IV. STUDY READING.
9. Understanding and Studying for College Tests: SQ3R, Highlighting, Charting, Webbing, Outlining, Summarizing, Remembering.
10. Adjusting Your Concentration Level and Reading Rate.
11. Interpreting Tables, Graphs, and Diagrams.
V. SPECIALIZED READING.
12. Understanding Opinions and Persuasive Writing.
13. Understanding Definitions and Explanations.
14. Understanding Descriptions and Narratives.
Summation: Reading with Meaning.
Appendix A: An Extended Section of a College Text.
Appendix B: Calculating Your Reading Rate: Reading Rate Tables and Explanations.
Inside Back Cover: Roots and Combining Forms.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >