Ralph Roberts is a long-time computer and general interest writer, with such titles as Creative Computing, Compute's Computer Viruses, The Official Book of Leisure Suit Larry, and Genealogy via the Internet. He has over 80 books and 5,000 articles and short stories to his credit. His programming language titles include books on Turbo BASIC, Emacs, Unix, and Microsoft Publisher. Roberts has been using REBOL to write scripts on several platforms, and is truly a convert from any other type of scripting language. He describes these scenarios with just the perfect amount of humor and detailed explanations, making it enjoyable and understandable for the reader. What's more, Roberts was suggested by REBOL, who are keenly interested in seeing this book published and helping us to promote and sell it.
REBOL For Dummiesby Ralph Roberts
With REBOL just about anybody can create cool-looking Web pages that run on virtually any platform. Unlike other scripting languages—like Perl, for instance—REBOL is about as close to plain English as a programming language could possibly be, and it directly handles e-mail, Web, FTP, NNTP and every other protocol, without the need for extra libraries or… See more details below
With REBOL just about anybody can create cool-looking Web pages that run on virtually any platform. Unlike other scripting languages—like Perl, for instance—REBOL is about as close to plain English as a programming language could possibly be, and it directly handles e-mail, Web, FTP, NNTP and every other protocol, without the need for extra libraries or modules. REBOL isn’t hard to learn, but it does pack a slew of details that you’ll need to wrestle into shape while building your Web pages. Which is where REBOL For Dummies comes in.
Your complete guide to building powerful applications for all popular Internet protocols, this friendly guide helps you get your message across using REBOL. Author Ralph Roberts offers clear explanations and dozens of practical, skill-building examples that help you quickly master what you need to know to:
- Write scripts that run on 37 different platforms!
- Enable computers, servers, and PDAs to communicate with each o ther
- Build attractive Web documents with ease
- Synchronize database records
- Streamline your e-business activities
If you can turn on your computer and use a mouse, you can use REBOL to create powerful Web applications, and REBOL For Dummies shows you how. In plain English, it covers all the bases, including:
- Markup in general and REBOL markup in particular
- Creating, editing and structuring scripts
- Using REBOL elements and attributes to design and build simple documents
- Advanced coding techniques for building different types of complex Web pages
- How REBOL works with online resources to build and compile fast, flexible online documents
- Using REBOL to structure, build, save and load databases
- Creating REBOL CGI applications, getting REBOL to output HTML, filling out forms, and other advanced topics
The Bonus CD-ROM features:
- REBOL 2.3 for Windows, Amiga, Linux, UNIX, Mac, BeOS, and dozens of other platforms
- Sample scripts and examples from the book
If you can write a sentence and know the difference between a heading and a paragraph, you can build and publish your own Web documents with REBOL. Now find out how in REBOL For Dummies.
Meet the Author
More from this Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >