In this much anticipated, revised, and expanded edition of her bestseller Reciprocal Teaching at Work, Lori Oczkus continues to provide solutions for teaching comprehension. By focusing on four evidence-based and classroom-tested strategies that good readers use to comprehend text-predicting, questioning, clarifying, and summarizing-Lori shows you new ways to use reciprocal teaching to improve students comprehension while actively engaging them in learning and encouraging independence.
This second edition is jam-packed with fresh material including
* A new chapter on getting started with reciprocal teaching
* Dozens of creative, exciting lessons and tips for using reciprocal teaching in whole-class settings, guided reading groups, and literature circles
* Ideas for differentiating instruction for struggling readers and English language learners
* Expanded suggestions for grades K5 and all new ideas for grades 612
* Practical ways to use reciprocal teaching as a Response to Intervention (RTI)
* Support materials such as reproducibles, posters, and a lesson planning menu
* A free online professional development guide and free online classroom video clips
With 35 lessons and a wealth of materials to get you started-and keep you going-this is the all-inclusive resource you need to lead your students to become active, engaged, and independent readers who truly comprehend what they read.
If you are a dedicated teacher who wants to make a difference in the lives and reading dispositions of your students, youll love this book.' --(P. David Pearson, Dean, Graduate School of Education, University of California, Berkeley)
If you enjoyed Loris first edition of this book, get ready to love the second! And, if youve never learned about reciprocal teaching, this book is a must-read for you.' --(MaryEllen Vogt, California State University, Long Beach, Past President, International Reading Association)
Lori Oczkus is a master at translating reading research and theory into actual classroom practice. Reciprocal Teaching at Work is a very readable volume filled with practical, engaging, and effective comprehension approaches (and examples) that are certain to deepen students understanding of the texts they read.' --(Timothy Rasinski, Professor, Kent State University, OH)
The first edition of this book changed my instruction and more important improved my students learning. I was amazed how much more I learned from this second edition.' --(Kathy Langham, ELL Literacy Coach, National Board Certified Teacher, Searles Union City, CA)