We select best available book. Used items may have varying degrees of wear, highlighting, etc. Fast & reliable delivery. Exceptional customer service. Standard shipping is USPS ...Standard Mail. We ship expedited orders by UPS Ground. Read moreShow Less
All orders ship SAME or NEXT business day. Expedited shipments will be received in 1-5 business days within the United States. We proudly ship to APO/FPO addresses. 100% ...Satisfaction Guaranteed!Read moreShow Less
With detailed descriptions of orthopedic surgeries, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient, 3rd Edition provides current, evidence-based guidelines to designing effective rehabilitation strategies. Coverage of each condition includes an overview of the orthopedic patient's entire course of treatment from pre- to post-surgery. For each phase of rehabilitation, this book describes the postoperative timeline, the goals, potential complications and precautions, and appropriate therapeutic procedures. New to this edition are a full-color design and new chapters on disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete. Edited by Lisa Maxey and Jim Magnusson, and with chapters written by both surgeons and physical therapists, Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient provides valuable insights into the use of physical therapy in the rehabilitation process.
• Comprehensive, evidence-based coverage provides an overview of the orthopedic patient's entire course of treatment from pre- to post-surgery, including a detailed look at the surgical procedures and therapy guidelines that can be used to design the appropriate rehabilitation programs.
• Case study vignettes with critical thinking questions help you develop critical reasoning skills.
• Indications and considerations for surgery describe the mechanics of the injury and the repair process so you can plan an effective rehabilitation program.
• Therapy guidelines cover each phase of rehabilitation with specifics as to the expected time span and goals for each phase.
• Evidence-based coverage includes the latest clinical research to support treatment decisions.
• Overview of soft tissue and bone healing considerations after surgery helps you understand the rationale behind the timelines for the various physical therapy guidelines.
• A Troubleshooting section in each chapter details potential pitfalls in the recovery from each procedure.
• Over 300 photos and line drawings depict concepts, procedures, and rehabilitation.
• Detailed tables break down therapy guidelines and treatment options for quick reference.
• Expert contributors include surgeons describing the indications and considerations for surgery as well as the surgery itself, and physical or occupational therapists discussing therapy guidelines.
• New coverage of current orthopedic surgeries and rehabilitation includes topics such as disc replacement, cartilage replacement, hallux valgus, and transitioning the running athlete.
• New full-color design and illustrations visually reinforce the content.
• Updated Suggested Home Maintenance boxes in every chapter provide guidance for patients returning home.
• References linked to MEDLINE abstracts make it easy to access evidence-based information for better clinical decision-making.
"This book is awesome! It should really be called 'here is everything you need to know about rehabilitation and all the good stuff you have forgotten about'...This book gives you up to date information on the etiology of orthopaedic conditions, surgical procedures as well as surgical indications and considerations. However, its real strength lies in the guidelines and suggestions it has for the rehabilitation programs. The rehabilitation exercises are realistic, easy to implement and full of clinical nuggets which definitely makes the book come alive...This book will serve as a great reference point for any physiotherapists, or if you're like me it inspired a lot of new ideas for my clinic."
In Touch, July 2013
Doody's Review Service
Reviewer: Omar Alphonso Ross, PT, ATC (North Hills Orthopedic and Sports Physical Therapy) Description: This book provides clinicians with relevant, up-to-date, postsurgical rehabilitation guidelines, as well as seven new chapters that cover pathogenesis of soft tissue and bone repair and total shoulder replacement among them. The previous version was published in 2001. Purpose: The author states that the purpose is to "provide the clinician with the most comprehensive evidence-based review of post-operative orthopedic rehabilitation." Audience: This book is primarily geared towards physical therapist practitioners, but it would benefit student physical therapists. Features: "It covers the surgical indications, surgical procedures, therapy guidelines, home maintenance, and troubleshooting issues of many common orthopedic surgical issues. The book is concise, easy to read, and applicable to what clinicians face in the daily treatment of postoperative patients. An early chapter covers tissue healing and emphasizes the importance of proper application of techniques, exercise, etc., through phases of rehabilitation. The unique features of this book are the clinical question and answer sections in each chapter and the troubleshooting section at the end of each postsurgical chapter. The primary limitation is the lack of surgical illustrations to better provide readers with a clear understanding of surgical technique. " Assessment: This is a high quality tool for clinical physical therapists. It provides concise and relevant evidence-based information in an easy to read manner with a supplemental CD-ROM.