Religious Influences on Health and Well-Being in the Elderlyby K. Warner Schaie
Pub. Date: 06/15/2004
Publisher: Springer Publishing Company
"What makes the book's approach so captivating is that each...chapter is written by a different researcher in the study of religion and health. These researchers are responsible for significant portions of the existing literature and methodologies found in this field today....The versatility of the book warrants special mention. It is effective as a survey of work that has already been done on this topic. At the same time, it serves as a wellspring of ideas for new research....This work makes a valuable contribution to the present understanding of research on religion and health. It also serves as a road map to help chart directions for future endeavors in the field."--Sociology of Religion
This volume focuses on the ways in which religious institutions, religious practices, and religious organizations impact the health and well-being of older persons.
Topics examined include:
- the conceptualization and measurement of religion in late life
- the relationship between religious coping and possible stress reduction
- the role of forgiveness as an alternate mediator
- how social class, gender, and race can influence the specific effect of religion and religious institutions in a diverse aging society
Contributors include L. Chatters, K. Ferraro, L. K. George, E. Idler, S. McFadden, and K. Meador.
Table of Contents
- An Introduction to Research on Religion, Aging, and Health: Exploring New Prospects and Key Challenges, N. Krause
- Religious Observance and Health: Theory and Research, E.L. Idler
- Prayer, Love, and Transcendence: An Epidemiologic Perspective, J. Levin
- Empirical Advances in the Psychology of Religion and Coping, K.I. Pargament and G.G. Ano
- Religion, Forgiveness, and Adjustment in Older Adulthood, G. Bono and M.E. McCullough
- Race and Ethnicity in Religion and Health, L.M. Chatters
- Religion and Health in Life Course Perspective, L.K. George, et al.
Commentary: Religion and Health: A European Perspective, C.J. Lalive d’Epinay and D. Spini
Commentary: Observing Religion and Health, R. Finke
Commentary: Next Steps in Understanding the Prayer/Health Connection, K.F. Ferraro
Commentary: Prayer and the Elderly: Exploring a “Gerontological Mystery,” M.M. Poloma
Commentary: Religious Coping in Later Life, S.H. McFadden
Commentary: Religion, Coping, and Health, A.S. Willis
Commentary: Unforgiveness, Forgiveness, Religion, and Health During Aging, E.L. Worthington, Jr.
Commentary: Multiple Forms of Forgiveness and their Relationships with Aging and Religion, M.A. Musick
Commentary: Race and SES Differences in the Relationship Between Religion and Health, K.E. Whitfield and K.I. Jackson
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >