What most landlords learn the hard way – made easy!
Whether you dream of becoming a property mogul, or you've joined the ranks of 'accidental landlords' created by a sagging property market, Renting Out Your Property For Dummies, 3rd Edition is your roadmap to success. Melanie Bien and Robert Griswold walk you through the entire process of becoming a landlord and supply you with indispensable forms, agreements and letter templates – also available to download at the Dummies.com website.
- To be or not to be a landlord – discover if you're really cut out to be a landlord and, if not, how to find a great property manager
- Find investment properties – learn how to find, research and buy the most suitable properties for your needs
- Transition from homeowner to landlord – what every 'accidental landlord' needs to know about acquiring an official 'consent to let' from your lender, switching to a buy-to-let mortgage and much more
- Find Mr/Ms Right – find out how to prepare and advertise your property, set the rent, show your property and ensure that applicants are as trustworthy as they claim to be
- Handle tenants like a pro – get a leg up on managing tenants, including collecting and raising rents, holding onto good tenants and dealing with difficult ones
- Avoid legal hassles – acquaint yourself with the laws governing rental properties, such as the Tenancy Deposit Scheme and Energy Performance Certificates
"...an absolute must for the bookshelf of any would-be landlord, novice and experienced alike."
–from a review of the 2nd Edition by Tom Entwhistle, Editor of LandlordZONE.co.uk
Open the book and find:
- Tips on marketing your rental property
- The best way to screen your tenants
- Hints on setting rents and managing increases
- A guide on maintaining your property – both DIY and with contractors
- Tricks on tackling rent, deposits and tenancy agreements
- All you need to know about transitioning from homeowner to landlord
- How to decide whether to manage your property yourself, or to hire an agent
- Market your property and find the right tenant
- Set your rent and manage increases
- Stay on top of your finances and legal paperwork
- Keep your property up to scratch