Rescue Your Nails: A Do-It-Yourself Guide to Perfect Fingers and Toesby Ji Baek, Barbara Smullen
Skip the spa and give yourself an at home manicure—and here's the perfect author to show how. Ji Baek, the high-energy owner of New York's hottest nail salons, the Rescue Beauty Lounge—written about from Vogue to InStyle, Lucky to Harper's Bazaar, used by designers and stylists, patronized/i>/i>/i>/i>
Skip the spa and give yourself an at home manicure—and here's the perfect author to show how. Ji Baek, the high-energy owner of New York's hottest nail salons, the Rescue Beauty Lounge—written about from Vogue to InStyle, Lucky to Harper's Bazaar, used by designers and stylists, patronized by actors, fashionistas, professionals, and more—presents the definitive guide to beautiful hands and feet. Emphasizing natural beauty, cleanliness, and simplicity, it covers the science of the nail, and why it's important to take vitamins, file regularly, and moisturize constantly; the care of the nail, with step-by-step illustrated directions to achieving professional-quality home manicures and pedicures, including tools, techniques, lotions, polishes; the dressing of the nail—shapes, colors, and styles; the health of the nail and the surrounding skin—how to heal split nails, brittle nails, and ingrown nails, and take care of common problems like calluses and sunspots.
- Workman Publishing Company, Inc.
- Publication date:
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.90(w) x 7.90(h) x 0.50(d)
Read an Excerpt
The Ten (Unbreakable) Rules of Nail Care:
1. Take your vitamins. Nails are keratin-based, so make sure you have enough calcium, protein, and nutrients in your diet.
2. Moisturize and hydrate. Dryness can cause your nails to crack and split. Use moisturizer for your outside, drink plenty of water for your inside.
3. Keep your nails clean. There is nothing more unattractive than having dirt under your nailsremember, clean is chic!
4. File your nails weekly into a smooth, even shape, whether they’re short or long.
5. Take care of your tools. Learn the three S’ssterilization, sanitation, and storageand be vigilant. Preventable infections are just thatpreventable!
6. Trust your instincts. If it hurts, don’t do it. If it feels wrong, stop it. If (heaven forbid) it bleeds, tend to it immediately.
7. If it chips, take it off! If you can see the chip, everyone can see the chip. Uniformly lovely nails are just a swipe of remover away.
8. Don’t be a slave to the trends. If you’re seeing the same color everywhere, only wear it if you like the way it looks. Say no to peer pressure!
9. Don’t be afraid of trends. Get out of your rut and try something new!
10. Have fun! Experiment! Remember, your nails’ style is hardly permanent. If you’re even slightly tired of your current look, change it! If you’re not happy, all it takes is some polish remover and you’re back in the safety zone.
Meet the Author
Ji Baek founded Rescue Beauty Lounge, New York's top nail salon, in 1998, and soon after started garnering attention in Vogue, InStyle, Allure, New York, Lucky, Jane, Elle, Harper’s Bazaar, The New York Times, WWD, and more.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >