- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
The context for health and social care practice is continually developing and new material has been included within certain chapters in order to reflect this. Consistent with world-wide developments in health care and to set the scene for subsequent chapters, Chapter 1 has been revised to give more attention to the relationship between lay and professional knowledge. Chapter 2 which describes the context for nursing and health care research has been rewritten, with greater emphasis on the relationship between research and social policy. Computerised resources and techniques for systematic literature searching have developed apace and receive more detailed consideration within this edition. Increased emphasis is also placed on the contribution of research design to decisions about the appropriate interpretation and application of research findings. As a consequence the chapter providing an overview of research design (Chapter 6) has been rewritten and chapters on research methods (Chapters 7 and 8) have been extensively restructured. New chapters on information retrieval (Chapter 4) and the conduct and critique of systematic reviews (Chapter 12) have been added. Finally, all references and examples have been updated.
1. Knowledge for practice based disciplines: advancing the debate.
2. The context of nursing and health care research.
3. Accessing sources of knowledge.
4. Making the most of existing knowledge.
5. Philosophical and theoretical underpinnings of research.
6. The relationship between research question and research design.
7. Evaluating qualitative research.
8. Evaluating quantitative research.
9. Populations and samples: identifying boundaries of research.
10. Critiquing ethical issues in published research.
11. Reviewing and interpreting research: identifying implications for practice.
12. Evidence-based practice and critical appraisals of quantitative review articles (systematic reviews).
13. Factors which may inhibit the utilization of research findings in practice - and some solutions.
14. Techniques and strategies for translating research findings into health care practice.