Resource Selection by Animals: Statistical Design and Analysis for Field Studies / Edition 2by B.F. Manly, L. McDonald, Dana Thomas, Trent L. McDonald
Pub. Date: 06/30/2002
Publisher: Springer Netherlands
The current literature on resource selection by animals is a maze of methodologies for data collection and interpretation. Field biologists need a guide through the labyrinth. This book provides such a guide. It gives a clear and consistent framework for the study of how animals select their resources (food and habitat) by taking the reader through different types
The current literature on resource selection by animals is a maze of methodologies for data collection and interpretation. Field biologists need a guide through the labyrinth. This book provides such a guide. It gives a clear and consistent framework for the study of how animals select their resources (food and habitat) by taking the reader through different types of study design. It is an invaluable handbook for the field biologist, especially those concerned with the management and conservation of wildlife. The authors have clearly identified the need to pull together the diffuse literature, and biologists will greatly improve their experimental design, methodology, and analysis with this book.
The second edition of this popular book has been updated to include many developments in the last few years. There is new material on discrete choice models, the analysis of data from geographical information systems, compositional analysis, Mahalanobis distance methods, and neural networks and related approaches.
Resource Selection by Animals:
is an invaluable guide for field biologists;
provides a consistent framework for study of resource selection (food and habitat) by animals;
is a unique guide, and is the only book which covers this critical topic in such depth; and is particularly useful to wildlife managers and conservation biologists.
- Springer Netherlands
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- 2nd ed. 2002
- Product dimensions:
- 6.14(w) x 9.21(h) x 0.02(d)
Table of Contents
Preface. List of Symbols.
1. Introduction to Resource Selection Studies.
2. Statistical Modelling Procedures.
3. Examples of the Use of Resource Selection Functions.
4. Studies with Resources Defined by Several Categories.
5. Resource Selection Functions from Logistic Regression.
6. Resource Selection over Several Time Periods.
7. Log-Linear Modelling.
8. Discrete Choice Models with Changing Availability.
9. Applications Using Geographic Information Systems.
10. Discriminant Function Analysis.
11. Analysis of the Amount of Use.
12. Some Other Types of Analysis.
13. Risk Assessment and Population Size Estimation.
References. Name Index. Subject Index.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >