- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Rick Steves’ Pocket Barcelona includes the following walks and tours:
Barri Gotic and Cathedral Tour
Picasso Museum Tour
Sagrada Familia Tour
1. Stick to a one bag limit: Rick’s self-imposed limit is 20 pounds in a 9" × 22" × 14" carry-on-size bag, which fits in an airplane's overhead bin!
2. Do a tourist test in town: Before flying to Europe, do a tourist test. Pack up completely, go into town, and practice being a tourist for an hour. Fully loaded, the goal is to be able to enjoy window-shopping. Can’t? Stagger home and thin things out.
3. Scrutinize: Spread everything out on the living room floor. Pick up each item one at a time and scrutinize it. Ask if the item is needed enough to justify carrying it around all summer.
4. When in doubt, leave it out: Don't pack for the worst-case scenario. Pack for the best-case scenario and simply buy something abroad to get out of any jams. Bring layers rather than taking a heavy coat. Think in terms of what can be left out—not what will be handy on the trip.
5. Pack light and bring the right guidebook: Whether traveling for three weeks or three months, pack exactly the same. Go casual, simple, and very light. Bring the right guidebook for your trip. Remember, there are two kinds of tourists—those who pack light and those who wish they had.