- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
Rick Steves’ Pocket Venice includes the following walks and tours:
St. Mark’s Square Tour
St. Mark’s Basilica Tour
Doge’s Palace Tour
Frari Church Tour
St. Mark’s to Rialto Walk
Rialto to Frari Church Walk
St. Mark’s to San Zaccaria Walk
1. Stick to a one bag limit: Rick’s self-imposed limit is 20 pounds in a 9" × 22" × 14" carry-on-size bag, which fits in an airplane's overhead bin!
2. Do a tourist test in town: Before flying to Europe, do a tourist test. Pack up completely, go into town, and practice being a tourist for an hour. Fully loaded, the goal is to be able to enjoy window-shopping. Can’t? Stagger home and thin things out.
3. Scrutinize: Spread everything out on the living room floor. Pick up each item one at a time and scrutinize it. Ask if the item is needed enough to justify carrying it around all summer.
4. When in doubt, leave it out: Don't pack for the worst-case scenario. Pack for the best-case scenario and simply buy something abroad to get out of any jams. Bring layers rather than taking a heavy coat. Think in terms of what can be left out—not what will be handy on the trip.
5. Pack light and bring the right guidebook: Whether traveling for three weeks or three months, pack exactly the same. Go casual, simple, and very light. Bring the right guidebook for your trip. Remember, there are two kinds of tourists—those who pack light and those who wish they had.
Posted October 6, 2013
We used this book as we weaved our ways through the sights of Venice. It had great, common sense tips. The walks were great to navigate us through great streets and sights. The size was great for the purse, to not have bulk of larger book or the need to have the phone out for reference book.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.