Rio Linda and Elverta are now modern suburbs north of busy metropolitan Sacramento. But when Edwin Pitcher first opened his hotel, the Star House, on Nevada Road in 1860, it was only a place to water horses and spend the night on the long, open road to the new state capital. Elverta was the
first community to appear here in 1908, and in 1913, a development group, Suburban Fruitlands Company, promoted Rio Linda as ideal land for growing fruit. Unfortunate orchardists who believed the advertising saw their seedlings wither in hardpan, but those who stuck it out turned to lucrative poultry ranching. Until the 1960s, the area was a major California egg producer. Nearby McClellan Air Force Base, established just before World
War II, was a major employer until it reverted to other military uses in 2001
and is still a point of pride for residents.