Risk Management Techniques in Perinatal and Neonatal Practice / Edition 1by Steven M. Donn MD
Pub. Date: 10/15/1996
This unique text focuses on an aspect of medical and nursing practice which has become a major area of importance in the medico-legal arena. The editors have made a special effort to aid both the medical and le gal sectors in understanding the important issues involved in medical negligence cases. This book will help remedy this situation by examini ng the "red… See more details below
This unique text focuses on an aspect of medical and nursing practice which has become a major area of importance in the medico-legal arena. The editors have made a special effort to aid both the medical and le gal sectors in understanding the important issues involved in medical negligence cases. This book will help remedy this situation by examini ng the "red flags" in several high risk situations to enable the devel opment of a prospective approach to risk management. The contributors are internationally recognized experts from the field of obstetrics, n eonatology, nursing and hospital administration, as well as the legal profession. The editors believe that this book will serve to bring abo ut changes in the behavior of health care professionals which will ult imately improve the quality of care that they give to their patients. This text should be on the bookshelf of any individual involved in the medical care of the pregnant woman and her newborn.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.35(w) x 9.29(h) x 1.52(d)
Table of Contents
SECTION I: INTRODUCTION.
1. Professionalism and the Avoidance of Malpractice (Richard L. Schreiner).
SECTION II: PRENATAL OBSTETRICAL ISSUES.
2. Genetics and Prenatal Diagnostic Techniques (Mark I. Evans, Roderick F. Hume and Mark P. Johnson).
3. Multiple Pregnancy Losses (James H. Harger).
4. Diagnosis and Management of Ectopic Pregnancy (Philip E. Young).
5. Hypertensive Disorders in Pregnancy (Baha M. Sibai).
6. Gestational Diabetes Mellitus (Robert P. Lorenz).
7. Preterm Labor: Diagnosis and Treatment (Michael Katz and Pamela J. Gill).
8. Antepartum Fetal Assessment (Carl V. Smith).
9. Postdates Pregnancy: Diagnosis and Management (Angela C. Ranzini and Robert Knuppel).
10. Prevention of Neonatal Group B Streptococcal Infection (Mitchell P. Dombrowski and Michael F. McNamara).
SECTION III: INTRAPARTUM OBSTETRICAL ISSUES.
11. Electronic Fetal Monitoring: Role of Physician (Barry S. Schifrin).
12. Electronic Fetal Monitoring: Role of the Nurse (Michael L. Murray).
13. Abruptio Placentae (Kenneth R. Niswander).
14. Nursing Identification of Abruptio Placentae (Catherine E. Cochell and Charles W. Fisher).
15. Oxytocin and Litigation in Obstetrics (George H. Nolan and Leila R. Hajjar).
16. Operative Vaginal Delivery (Philip C. Dennen).
17. Episiotomy: Repair, Complications, and Follow-Up (Ronald T. Burkman).
18. Shoulder Dystocia (Robert B. Hilty).
SECTION IV: PATHOLOGIC AND LABORATORY EVALUATION.
19. The Use of the Placenta in the Understanding of Perinatal Injury (Kurt Benirschke).
20. Umbilical Cord Blood Gas Analysis in the Assessment of Intrapartum Fetal and Neonatal Status (Stanley M. Berry).
21. The Perinatal Autopsy and Risk Management: The Value of a "Standardized" Approach (Trevor Macpherson).
SECTION V: NEONATAL ISSUES.
22. Neonatal Resuscitation (Steven M. Donn).
23. Neonatal Infection: A Medico-Legal Perspective (Roger G. Faix).
24. Neonatal Hypoglycemia (Marvin Cornblath).
25. Hypoxic-Ischemic Encephalopathy and Traumatic Intracranial Injuries (Michael V. Johnston and Steven M. Donn).
26. Periventricular Leukomalacia (Steven M. Donn and Michael V. Johnston).
27. Neuroimaging in High-Risk Perinatal and Neonatal Medicine (James A. Brunberg).
28. The Postdates/Postmature Infant (Robert E. Schumacher).
29. Intravascular Catheters (Elizabeth L. Workman and Steven M. Donn).
SECTION VI: MATERNAL AND NEONATAL TRANSPORT.
30. Maternal Transport (Clark E. Nugent and Barbara A. Colwell).
31. Neonatal Transport (Molly R. Gates, Sandra Geller and Steven M. Donn).
32. Emergency Vehicles and Crews: Maintenance and Safety Issues (Peter L. Forster and Denise Landis).
33. The COBRA Regulations: Obstetrical Implications (Susan H. Zitterman).
SECTION VII: COMMUNICATION.
34. Inappropriate Word Choice in the Labor and Delivery and Newborn Medical Record (Jeffrey H. Chilton and Thomas R. Shimmel).
35. Risk Management in Medical Consultation (John V. Hartline and C. Giles Smith).
36. Delivering Bad News (Virginia Delaney-Black).
SECTION VIII: DOCUMENTATION AND RISK MANAGEMENT.
37. Obstetrical Forms: Nursing Documentation (Charles W. Fisher, Michael P. Burke and Rosemary Cicala).
38. Prospective Risk Management (Margaret Copp Dawson and Rita W. Cikanek).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >