Formally established in 1843, the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh traces its history back to April 1754, when the first Eucharistic Liturgy was celebrated within what is now Pittsburgh. Franciscan friar Denys Baron established the first Catholic house of worship in this part of the world and dedicated it in honor of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary. He constructed his small parish at the forks of the Ohio River, and from his meticulous records of baptisms, births, and deaths, there is evidence that he ...
Product dimensions: 6.60 (w) x 9.20 (h) x 0.50 (d)
Meet the Author
Mary Ann Knochel, board member of the Mifflin Township Historical Society, assembled this book as a result of researching her own family's Catholic heritage. Partnering with the Catholic Diocese of Pittsburgh Archives and Records Center, Knochel presents a collection of images that reflect the ethnic diversity, traditions, and faith of the local Catholic community.