Romanticism: A Critical Reader / Edition 1by Duncan Wu, Duncan Wu
Pub. Date: 02/27/1995
Romanticism: A Critical Reader is designed both to accompany and supplement Blackwell's Romanticism: An Anthology. It deals for the most part with works included in that volume while affording coverage to key elements, including fiction, beyond the anthologist's scope to include. Most of the movements and schools of thought active during the/i>/i>… See more details below
Romanticism: A Critical Reader is designed both to accompany and supplement Blackwell's Romanticism: An Anthology. It deals for the most part with works included in that volume while affording coverage to key elements, including fiction, beyond the anthologist's scope to include. Most of the movements and schools of thought active during the last fifteen years are represented, including feminism, new historicism, genre theory, psychoanalysis, and deconstructionism. The reader provides thus a progress report, useful to anyone interested in the application of theoretical ideas to literary texts, giving a unique overview of Romantic studies since 1980.
Contributors: Marilyn Butler, James K. Chandler, Vincent Arthur De Luca, James A. W. Heffernan, Nelson Hilton, Margaret B. Homans, Alan Liu, Jerome J. McGann, Peter J. Manning, Anne K. Mellor, Tom Paulin, Balachandra Rajan, Tilottama Rajan, Edward Said, Karen Swann, Eve Kosofsky Sedgwick, Leon Waldoff, Kathleen M. Wheeler.
Table of Contents
A Note on Texts and Abbreviations.
1. Blakean Zen: Nelson Hilton.
2. Blake's Concept of the Sublime: Vincent Arthur De Luca.
3. Wordsworth, Rousseau and the Politics of Education: James K. Chandler.
4. The History of Imagination: Alan Liu.
5. 'Kubla Khan' and the Art of Thingifying: Kathleen M. Wheeler.
6.'Christabel': The Wandering Mother and the Enigma of form: Karen Swan.
7. Adonais : Shelley's Consumption of Keats: James A. W. Heffernan. .
8. Deconstruction or Reconstruction: Reading Shelley's Prometheus Unbound (Tilottama Rajan) .
9. Don Juan and Byron's Imperceptiveness to the English Word: Peter J. Manning.
10. Byron and the Anonymous Lyric: Jerome J. McGann.
11. The Two Hyperions : Compositions and Decompositions: Balachandra Rajan.
12. Imagination and Growth in the Great Odes: Leon Waldoff.
Other Writers: .
13. Godwin, Burke and Caleb Williams: Marylin Butler.
14. Murder Incorporated: Confessions of a Justified Sinner: Eve Kosofsky Sedwick.
15. Bearing Demons: Frankenstein's Circumvention of the Maternal: Margaret Homas.
16. John Clare in Babylon: Tom Paulin.
17. 'A Revolution in Female Manners': Anne K. Mellor.
18. Jane Austen and Empire: Edward Said.
List of Contributors.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >