- Zelmira, opera: Terra amica
- La donna del lago (The Lady of the Lake), opera: O fiamma soave
- Il turco in Italia (The Turk in Italy), opera: Tu seconda il mio disegno
- Semiramide, opera: Ah dov'è, dov'è il cimento
- Otello, opera: Che ascolto!
- L'occasione fa il ladro, opera: D'ogni più sacro impegno
- Le Comte Ory, opera: Que les destins prospères
- La gazza ladra (The Thieving Magpie), opera: Vieni fra questa braccia
Rossini: Virtuoso Ariasby Lawrence Brownlee
One of the world's leading singers of bel canto, tenor Lawrence Brownlee has demonstrated his mastery through his virtuosic performances of arias by Bellini, Donizetti, and in the instance of this 2014 recording on Delos, Rossini. Brownlee sings a varied program of selections from popular and less familiar Rossini operas, including "La gazza ladra," "Le Comte Ory," "Semiramide," "Il turco in Italia," and four others, which give a well-rounded presentation of his extraordinary skills and expressive power. In these performances with Constantine Orbelian and the Kaunas City Symphony Orchestra, Brownlee displays a beautiful tone through his entire range, and sings with impressive breath control, clear phrasing, and physical stamina in parts that demand flawless execution. Yet fans of this style of singing may more readily note his agility in rapid passages and ornaments and apparent ease in leaping to the stratospheric notes, which are stock in trade with this florid music. This delightful album showcases Brownlee in his most appealing repertoire, and the sound of the recording is warm and clear, giving him an ideal setting for singing Rossini.
- Release Date:
- Delos Records
Performance CreditsLawrence Brownlee Primary Artist
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews