In just 24 sessions of one hour or less, learn how to use today’s key networking techniques and technologies to build, secure, and troubleshoot both wired and wireless networks. Using this book’s straightforward, step-by-step approach, you master every skill you need—from working with Ethernet and Bluetooth to spam prevention to network troubleshooting. Each lesson builds on what you’ve already learned, giving you a rock-solid foundation for real-world success!
Step-by-step instructions carefully walk you through the most common networking tasks.
Q&A sections at the end of each hour help you test your knowledge.
By the Way notes present interesting information related to the discussion.
Did You Know? tips offer advice or show you easier ways to perform tasks.
Watch Out! cautions alert you to possible problems and give you advice on how to avoid them.
Learn how to…
- Choose the right network hardware and software and use it to build efficient, reliable networks
- Implement secure, high-speed Internet connections
- Provide reliable remote access to your users
- Administer networks to support users of Microsoft, Linux, and UNIX environments
- Use low-cost Linux servers to provide file and print services to Windows PCs
- Protect your networks and data against today’s most dangerous threats
- Use virtualization to save money and improve business flexibility
- Utilize RAID technologies to provide flexible storage at lower cost
- Troubleshoot and fix network problems one step at a time
- Preview and prepare for the future of networking
Hour 1: An Overview of Networking 3
Hour 2: The Benefits of Networking 19
Hour 3: Getting Data from Here to There: How Networking Works 29
Hour 4: Computer Concepts 49
Hour 5: Network Concepts 71
Hour 6: Extending LANs with Wide Area Networks (WANs) 95
Hour 7: Mobile Wireless Networking 117
Hour 8: Remote Networking 129
Hour 9: Planning for the Network 143
Hour 10: Designing a Network 155
Hour 11: Selecting Network Hardware and Software 179
Hour 12: Assembling a Network 199
Hour 13: Network Applications 211
Hour 14: Connecting to the Internet: Initial Operations 231
Hour 15: Connecting to the Internet: Key Supporting Operations 247
Hour 16: Microsoft Networking 271
Hour 17: UNIX and Linux Networking 289
Hour 18: Putting the Pieces Together 301
Hour 19: Role of the Network Administrator 309
Hour 20: Security 319
Hour 21: Managing a Network 339
Hour 22: Network Troubleshooting 355
Hour 23: A Day in the Life of a Network Administrator 373
Hour 24: Where Are Networks Going from Here? 383