IV Compatibility Chart (gatefold insert)
Color Pill Atlas (4-color insert)
Section I. Drug Class
Section II. A-Z Drugs
Section III. Reference Section
Calculation of Doses
Controlled Drugs (United States)
NEW Cultural Aspects of Drug Therapy
Drugs of Abuse
FDA Pregnancy Categories
Normal Laboratory Values
Signs and Symptoms of Electrolyte Imbalance
Techniques of Medication Administration
NEW Pediatric Medication Index
Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2004 / Edition 1by Barbara B. Hodgson, Saunders, Robert J. Kizior, Robert J. Kizior
Pub. Date: 07/15/2003
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook is a reliable and easy-to-use source of current drug information needed by the busy health care provider. What separates this handbook from others is that it guides the user through clinical priorities in the practice setting to promote better patient care. Its main objective is to provide essential information for thousands of
Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook is a reliable and easy-to-use source of current drug information needed by the busy health care provider. What separates this handbook from others is that it guides the user through clinical priorities in the practice setting to promote better patient care. Its main objective is to provide essential information for thousands of medications in a user-friendly format.
• Side effects and adverse reactions are listed by frequency - frequent, occasional, rare - with percentage of occurrence (when known).
• Incorporates frequently-used herb monographs in the A to Z portion of the book. Additional herb information can be found in the appendix.
• Comprehensive foldout IV Compatibility Chart gives compatibility information for over 100 intravenous drugs.
• The Classifications section provides an overview of actions and uses for drug families.
• Medication grid in Classifications section shows all the medications in a particular class with pertinent information next to it (actions, uses, names, availability, dosage, side effects).
• Guides the user through navigation and use of the handbook with a how-to flow chart printed on the inside front cover.
• A newly designed Evolve web site will include new drugs and other drug information updates.
• Includes a complimentary PC-compatible mini CD-ROM with 200 searchable and printable color drug cards derived from the Saunders Electronic Nursing Drug Cards.
• Identifies top 100 prescribed drugs with a new icon to help the user focus on most frequently administered drugs.
• Nursing implications are organized in a functional nursing process framework and include headings for Baseline Assessment, Intervention/Evaluation, and Patient/Family Teaching.
• Includes dosage variations for patients who require variations in dosages, such as pediatric, geriatric, hepatic, and/or immune- or renal-compromised patients.
• Utilizes a functional order of headings that follows a logical clinical progression.
• Color tabbed sections differentiate among each distinct section of the handbook enhancing its uses a clinical reference.
• Drug monographs are listed alphabetically by generic drug name, with A to Z tabs, to provide quick and easy access.
• A new drug supplement contains abbreviated monographs on the latest FDA-approved drugs released in late spring (February to April) 2003.
• Color atlas of pills includes color photos of more than 125 pills to allow the nurses to identify and visually distinguish different pills.
• Techniques of Medication Administration appendix illustrates and outlines the procedure for administering medication via all the different routes.
• Comprehensive Patient/Family Teaching and Home Care Tips featured in the Nursing Implications section.
• Features herbal interactions subheading within drug entries.
• Features a therapeutic treatment index organized alphabetically by disorder with the drugs used to treat each disorder listed beneath each disorder entry.
• Includes extensively expanded IV content with a heading for IV compatibilities, and expanded rates of infusion, reconstitutions, drip rates, test doses, flushing, and incompatibilities.
• Side effects are distinguished from adverse reactions so the nurse can better assess the patient.
• Features a subheading defining protein-binding percentages under Pharmacokinetics for all full drug entries.
• Therapeutic and toxic blood level information is incorporated into the Interactions section and under Nursing Implications.
• More attractive and functional design and revised layout improves the practical clinical use of the book.
• New Pediatric Medication index lists the drug name and page.
• Fixed combinations now include dosages of each combined drug directly within the individual monographs.
• Combinations are written in an easy to read and understand format.
• 2 new classification sections - Appetite Suppressants and Immunosuppressives.
• The content is updated throughout with the latest information and new FDA-approved drugs.
• New geriatric dosing included in the monograph.
• Half-life of drugs is bolded for quick and easy reference.
• New appendix on the Cultural Aspects of Drug Therapy.
• Updated Drugs of Abuse appendix including the addresses for national Web sites.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.38(w) x 7.66(h) x 1.55(d)
Table of Contents
IV Compatibility Chart (gatefold insert)
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews