Saunders Nursing Drug Handbook 2008 / Edition 1by Barbara B. Hodgson, Robert J. Kizior
A unique Pharmacist/Nurse author team presents reliable drug information on thousands of generic and trade name drugs in an easy-to-read resource. Organized according to the way nurses need to access essential drug information, this easy-to-use handbook gives you instant access to vital drug data in the clinical setting and helps you provide the best possible care.… See more details below
A unique Pharmacist/Nurse author team presents reliable drug information on thousands of generic and trade name drugs in an easy-to-read resource. Organized according to the way nurses need to access essential drug information, this easy-to-use handbook gives you instant access to vital drug data in the clinical setting and helps you provide the best possible care. You'll find up-to-date information on over 1,000 generic and 4,000 trade name drugs, including a wealth of information about IV drugs, with complete coverage of drug class, dosages, precautions, contraindications, interactions, side effects, adverse effects/toxic reactions, nursing considerations, and much more.
- Over 1,000 generic name drugs - encompassing over 4,000 trade name drugs - are presented alphabetically with A-to-Z thumb tabs for quick and easy access.
- Side effects are distinguished from adverse effects/toxic reactions and are listed according to the frequency of occurrence, allowing you to easily identify which side effects are most likely to occur.
- Promotes safe drug administration with a special icon and text treatment for high-alert drugs that pose the greatest risk of patient harm.
- Includes FDA recommended "Tall Man" spellings to help reduce drug administration errors.
- UNIQUE! Incorporates information on frequently used herbs in the A-to-Z section of the book, plus additional herb information in an appendix.
- Coverage of herbal interactions within drug entries reminds you to consider the implications of any supplements your patients may be taking.
- Includes a classifications section that gives you an overview of the actions and uses for drug families.
- UNIQUE! Identifies the 170 most-prescribed drugs to help you identify those most frequently administered.
- Nursing considerations are organized in a functional nursing process framework and include headings for Baseline Assessment, Intervention/Evaluation, and Patient/Family Teaching.
- Includes lifespan and disorder-related dosage variations to help you better treat pediatric, geriatric, hepatic, and immune- or renal-compromised patients.
- Extensive IV content covers IV compatibilities, expanded rates of infusion, reconstitutions, drip rates, test doses, flushing, and incompatibilities.
- Includes fixed combinations with dosages of each combined drug directly within the individual monographs.
- Includes a complimentary mini CD-ROM with customizable and printable monographs of the 350 most commonly used drugs and a drug interaction tool.
- Offers free access to the Evolve® web site, which provides you with quarterly drug updates and other valuable drug-related information.
- Incorporates therapeutic and toxic blood level information into the Interactions section and under Nursing Considerations.
- A comprehensive foldout IV Compatibility Chart offers quick access to compatibility information for 67 intravenous drugs.
- Includes a color atlas with photos of 158 pills to help you identify and visually distinguish different pills.
- UNIQUE! Cross-references the 400 top U.S. brand name drugs directly in the main section of the book.
- UNIQUE! Newly FDA-approved drugs are listed in the front of the book for quick reference.
- Complete information for approximately 25 drugs newly approved by the FDA ensures that you are using the most current drug information.
- New interactions, precautions, alerts, patient teaching instructions, and other need-to-know facts throughout help you maintain safe drug practices.
- IV Compatibilities and IV Incompatibilities now include important lipid information.
- A new icon helps you quickly identify drug forms that are non-crushable. A new appendix also lists those drugs with non-crushable forms in one convenient location.
Table of ContentsList of Newly FDA-Approved Drugs
IV Compatibility Chart Insert
Drugs by Disorder
Full-Color Pill Atlas Insert
Section I. Drug Classifications
Section II. A-Z Drugs
Section III. Reference Section
Appendix A Calculation of Doses
Appendix B Controlled Drugs (United States)
Appendix C Cytochrome P450 (Cyp) Inducers and Inhibitors
Appendix D Drip Rates for Critical Care Medications
Appendix E Drugs of Abuse
Appendix F Equi-Analgesic Drugs
Appendix G FDA Pregnancy Categories
Appendix H Herbal Therapies and Interactions
Appendix I Lifespan and Cultural Aspects of Drug Therapy
Appendix J Non-Crushable Drug Forms
Appendix K Normal Laboratory Values
Appendix L Orphan Drugs
Appendix M Poison Antidote Chart
Appendix N Preventing Medication Errors and Improving Medication Safety
Appendix O Recommended Childhood and Adult Immunizations
Appendix P Signs and Symptoms of Electrolyte Imbalance
Appendix Q Sound Alike and Look Alike Drugs
Appendix R Spanish Phrases Often Used in the Clinical Setting
Appendix S Techniques of Medication Administration
Section IV. New Drug Supplement
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >