WILLIAM J. MOLLOY has been in the real estate business for more than twenty-five years. A licensed real estate salesperson, real estate executive, and a commercial mortgage broker, he is the author of The Complete Home Buyer's Bible (Wiley).
Save $50,000 on Your New Home: Yes! You Can Be Your Own General Contractorby William J. Molloy
In the market for a new home, but can't find one that's just right? Why not build one that is? In this indispensable new reference, real estate executive and builder William Molloy provides the tools you need to become an informed "armchair" general contractor. Save $50,000 on Your New Home takes you step-by-step through the complete building process, from choosing an appropriate lot to organizing the title closing. You'll learn how to hire the right people to do the job, what materials to use, what agreements need to be signed--and how to stay within your budget. Packed with insider tips, invaluable advice, helpful illustrations, and sample checklists, this comprehensive guide includes complete details on:
* Financing your new home--applying for loans; figuring out how much to borrow; obtaining a mortgage; saving on closing costs; combining construction and permanent financing.
* Lot considerations--What is the elevation? Is the lot approved for building? Is it Board of Health Approved (BOHA)? What zoning requirements apply? How to finance the lot, walk the lot, obtain all necessary permits.
* Starting to build--acquiring check prints; meeting with the building inspector and engineer; compiling a schedule checklist; tracking all materials and labor.
* Contractor agreements--subcontractor release of lien affidavit; subcontractor and general agreements; Builder's Risk Insurance; how to negotiate with the contractor(s) and how to pay them.
* The construction process: this book tells you how, from staking the lot to driving the final nail--surveys; engineers; excavation; concrete; framing; siding; roofs; interior and exterior; maintaining schedules; ordering materials.
* Closing the deal--getting it done while beating the paper monster; how to file all final permits.
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 9.25(w) x 7.50(h) x 0.53(d)
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >