Scaling up Success: Lessons Learned from Technology-Based Educational Improvement / Edition 1by Chris Dede
In education, there is no shortage of extraordinary teaching, innovative programs, and successful schools. The big challenge lies in spreading these "best practices" beyond the local scenein "scaling up" success. Technology has the potential to influence a broad spectrum of educators and students beyond the walls of an individual classroom, but its role in… See more details below
In education, there is no shortage of extraordinary teaching, innovative programs, and successful schools. The big challenge lies in spreading these "best practices" beyond the local scenein "scaling up" success. Technology has the potential to influence a broad spectrum of educators and students beyond the walls of an individual classroom, but its role in seeding larger change has not been well documented up to now. This book focuses on the challenge of integrating technology as part of larger school improvement efforts. It offers valuable insights that will help those trying to scale up any form of improved educational policy or practice.
Drawing from the information presented at a conference sponsored by the Harvard Graduate School of Education and the Mid-Atlantic Regional Technology in Education Consortium, leading educators, researchers, and policymakers, Scaling Up Success translates theory into practice and provides a hands-on resource that clearly describes different models for "scaling up" success. This important resource is filled with illustrative examples of best practices that are grounded in real-life case studies of technology-based educational innovationfrom networking a failing school district in New Jersey to using computer visualization to teach scientific inquiry in Chicago. Scaling Up Success shows how the lessons learned from technology-based educational innovation can be applied to other school improvement efforts. The authors address key themes such as
- Coping with change
- Constituent support
- Building human capacity
- Effective decision making
Scaling Up Success offers a much-needed resource for educators, policymakers, and leaders who must comply with the mandate to enact research-based practice and will serve as a guide to benefit present and future efforts to strengthening American education.
Table of Contents
Foreword (Ellen Condliffe Lagemann).
1. Moving from Successful Local Practice to Effective State Policy: Lessons from Union City (Fred Carrigg, Margaret Honey, Ron Thorpe).
2. Dewey Goes Digital: Scaling Up Constructivist Pedagogies and the Promise of New Technologies (Martha Stone Wiske, David Perkins).
3. Adapting Innovations to Particular Contexts of Use: A Collaborative Framework (Barry J. Fishman).
4. Designing for Scalable Educational Improvement: Processes of Inquiry in Practice (Susan R. Goldman).
5. Scaling Up Professional Development in the United Kingdom, Singapore, and Chile (Laurence C. Peters).
6. Technology as Proteus: Digital Infrastructures That Empower Scaling Up (Chris Dede, Robert Nelson).
7. Scaling Up Data Use in Classrooms, Schools, and Districts (Sam Stringfield, Jeffrey C. Wayman, Mary E. Yakimowski-Srebnick).
8. Foundations for Success in the Great City Schools: Lessons from Some Faster-Improving Districts (Michael Casserly, Jason C. Snipes).
9. Scaling Up Technology-Based Educational Innovations (Barbara Means, William R. Penuel).
10. Critiquing and Improving the Use of Data from High-Stakes Tests with the Aid of Dynamic Statistics Software (Jere Confrey, Katie M. Makar).
11. Scaling Up Success: A Synthesis of Themes and Insights (Chris Dede, James P. Honan).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >