List of tables
List of abbreviations
Part I: Scandinavia past and present
1. The eight wings of the swan
2. Nation-building and state-building, 1809-1944
Part II: Parties in development perspective
3. The emergence of the Scandinavisn party system(s)
4. The historic strengths of the five main types of party
Part III: Parties, voters and social change: w(h)ither the Scandinavian party system model?
5. 'Earthquake elections' of 1970-73 and the Emergence of New Party Types
6. Party system change since 1970
Part IV: The Nordic model
7. A Nordic model of government?
8. The Nordic welfare model
Part V: Legislative-executive relations in the Nordic region
9. The Nordic Parliaments: An Alternative Model?
10. 'Fairly Strong Standing Committees' and 'Influential Party Groups' - a Distinctively Nordic Mix?
11. Nordic Government(s): Parliamentary, Presidential or Prime Ministerial?
Part VI: The strategic security environment
12. The Changing Security Environment of the Nordic Region: From Cold War 'Security Threats' to the 'Security Challenges' of Today
13. 'Reluctant Nordics', 'Reluctant Europeans', but 'Moral Superpowers'?