School Leadership and Administration: Important Concepts, Case Studies, and Simulations / Edition 9by Richard Gorton, Judy Alston
Pub. Date: 08/03/2011
Publisher: McGraw-Hill Higher Education
School Leadership and Administration is fundamentally a text about leadership for any situation. Primarily focused toward school leaders, School Leadership and Administration offers global application with its principles for those who may be in areas such as higher education administration, military educational training programs, agency management,/i>/i>… See more details below
School Leadership and Administration is fundamentally a text about leadership for any situation. Primarily focused toward school leaders, School Leadership and Administration offers global application with its principles for those who may be in areas such as higher education administration, military educational training programs, agency management, and government services administration.
- McGraw-Hill Higher Education
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.40(w) x 9.10(h) x 0.80(d)
Table of Contents
PART I: MAJOR CONCEPTS IN ADMINISTRATION AND THE SOCIAL SCIENCES: CONCEPTUAL TOOLS FOR EFFECTIVE SCHOOL LEADERSHIPIntroductionISLLC StandardChapter 1: LeadershipChapter 2: Decision MakingChapter 3: Authority, Power, and InfluenceChapter 4: CommunicationChapter 5: Conflict ManagementChapter 6: Organizational CultureChapter 7: School Improvement
PART II: CASE STUDIES AND SIMULATIONSChapter 8: Introduction to Clinical Materials and Learning Experiences Chapter 9: Beginning Challenges
1. Preparing for the Job Search
2. From Teacher to Administrator
3. The New Principal (In-Basket Activities)
4. The New Assistant Principal (In-Basket Activities)
5. Resentment over Appointment
6. Why Does a Woman Need to Act Like a Man?
7. Gimme That Old-Time Discipline
8. Is Being Busy Necessarily Productive?Chapter 10: Student Problems
9. School Yard Dangers
10. The Underachiever
11. What Should Be the Role of the Student Newspaper?
12. A Complex Discipline Problem
13. The Drop-Out Problem (Simulation Exercise)
14. Students Can’t Take Pressure Any Longer
15. An Issue of Morals and Priorities
16. "Zero Tolerance" for Weapons in Schools
17. Student Drug Problem at Washington School
18. Do Extreme Times Call for Radical Action? (A Leaderless Group Activity)
19. A Different Kind of "Drug" ProblemChapter 11: Administrator-Staff Relationships
20. Teacher Selection
21. Problems of a Beginning Teacher
22. Faculty Teamwork
23. Who Needs Lesson Plans?
24. Conflict Over Teacher Citizenship Rights
25. Faculty Dissatisfaction and Low Morale
26. Teacher Files a Grievance
27. Teacher Reacts Negatively to Personnel Evaluation
28. Faculty Slowdown
29. Do Women Have Power?
30. Collaboration WoesChapter 12: School-Community Relations
31. Curriculum Unit Upsets Parents
32. Communication and Constructed Reality
33. Parental Apathy
34. Wanted: A Plan for Improving Parental and Community Involvement
35. The School-Community Web
36. Developing Student Talent
37. A New Role for the Parents’ Organization
38. How Much Should Parents Be Told?
39. Administrator-Press Relations
40. Public Relations: What’s Really Important?
41. Censorship? Or Parents’ Rights?
42. Financial Crisis!Chapter 13: Role and Organizational Problems
43. Principal’s Mid-Year Problems and Priorities (In-Basket Activities)
44. Principal’s End-of-the Year Problems and Priorities (In-Basket Activities)
45. Principal’s Dilemma
46. Principal’s Personal Conduct Results in Possible Suspension
47. Intra-Organizational Role Conflict
48. Supervisor-Principal Relationship
49. The Superintendent and the New School Board Members
50. Administrator EvaluationChapter 14: Social Justice Issues
51. Can Total School Integration Be Achieved?
52. Minority Parents Are Dissatisfied with Integration
53. We Want Neighborhood Schools, Too!
54. Metropolitan Integration
55. Parents Detect Racial Disparity
56. Teacher Difficulty in a Multicultural Climate
57. Matter of What?
58. Do (Should?) We Treat Them All Alike?
59. Ideas on IDEA (Individuals with Disabilities Act)
60. Student Formed Gay-Straight Alliance
61. Inclusion of Special Needs StudentsChapter 15: Problems of Change
62. Teacher Tries to Individualize Instruction
63. Effective Schools: How Do We Get There From Here? (A Group Activity)
64. Planning for Improvement
65. School-Based Management
66. Restructuring Staff Evaluation and Supervision
67. Changing the Role of the Building Principal
68. In-Service or Disservice Education? Part I
69. In-Service or Disservice Education? Part II
70. School Choice
71. School District Chips Away at Computer Education Problems 72. When NCLB Meets You at Your School DoorIndex
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >