- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
"Captures the breadth, depth, and urgency of education reform.... I recommend it to other policy makers, whether they be in the midst of reform or contemplating it."
"Brown imaginatively and uniquely connects rich portraits of classrooms with a vision of how public policy can encourage thoughtfulness in our schools."
—Theodore R. Sizer, chairman, Coalition of Essential Schools, Brown University
As a result of his visits to classrooms across the nation, Brown has compiled an engaging, thought-provoking collection of classroom vignettes which show the ways in which national, state, and local school politics translate into changed classroom practices. "Captures the breadth, depth, and urgency of education reform."--Bill Clinton.
1. Back to Basics in the Rural South.
2. Hand-Me-Down Literacy.
3. Language and Culture on the Reservation.
4. An Urban District: One Foot on the Gas, the Other on the Brakes.
5. The Politics of Literacy.
6. When Teachers Talk.
7. A Higher Literacy in Toronto.
8. Cultivating a Literacy of Thoughtfulness.
Guidelines for Program Review from the Ontario Ministry of Education.