Schoolyard-Enhanced Learning: Using the Outdoors as an Instructional Tool, K-8by Herbert W. Broda
Pub. Date: 11/01/2007
Publisher: Stenhouse Publishers
Schoolyard-Enhanced Learning shows how the school groundsregardless of whether your school is in an urban, suburban, or rural settingcan become an enriching extension of the classroom. In this comprehensive handbook, Herb Broda blends theory and practice, providing readers with practical suggestions and teacher-tested activities for using the/i>
Schoolyard-Enhanced Learning shows how the school groundsregardless of whether your school is in an urban, suburban, or rural settingcan become an enriching extension of the classroom. In this comprehensive handbook, Herb Broda blends theory and practice, providing readers with practical suggestions and teacher-tested activities for using the most powerful audio-visual tool availablethe outdoors.
Emphasizing the practical, this innovative book offers teachers step-by-step guidance to help ensure success when they take a class outside. It provides:
- Background that helps present the case for outdoor learning: educational theory that supports the concept; overview of the terminology; research on the benefits related to student achievement; alignment of outdoor learning with current teaching practices.
- Ideas for making the schoolyard an effective outdoor classroom: the planning process; enhancing and maintaining the site; developing gardens and attracting wildlife; finding community resources and funding.
- Advice on working with a class outdoors: garnering administrative and parental support; considerations before going out; making the most of your outdoor time; using GPS as an educational tool; building on the outdoor experience back in the classroom.
- An array of proven activities that utilize the schoolyard: activities related to specific subject areas; activities that teach process skills; activities that encourage initiative and build community.
At a time when children's natural curiosity about the outdoors is eclipsed by the demands of busy schedules and the ever-present glow of video screens, schools may be the only place where they are encouraged to interact with nature. Schoolyard-Enhanced Learning can help teachers unlock the powerful learning experiences that exist just beyond the classroom door.
- Stenhouse Publishers
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 7.30(w) x 9.20(h) x 0.50(d)
- Age Range:
- 5 - 13 Years
Table of Contents
Schoolyard-Enhanced Learning: A Change of Pace and Place 1
Making the School Grounds an Outdoor Classroom 27
Taking Your Class Outside: The Nuts and Bolts 59
Developing Process Skills in an Engaging Environment 81
Teaching Content-Area Concepts Outdoors 99
Beyond the Schoolyard 119
Self-Directed Plant Awareness Study Guide 153
Resource Auction Bid Sheet 155
Balloon Launch Data Sheet 156
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews