See MIPS Run / Edition 1by Dominic Sweetman
Pub. Date: 02/01/1999
Publisher: Elsevier Science & Technology Books
The versatile offspring of an extended family of multiple chip companies, today'sMIPS chips are everywhere. They power everything from videogames, network routers, laser printers, set-top boxes, and high-performance workstations. This book brings together this extraordinary proliferation of form and functionality, offering embedded systems programmers and designers unique, eminently practical insights into MIPS. It covers how MIPS started, the principles at the root of the RISC revolution, the full details of the MIPS instruction set, and how these details together constitute a full operating system ready to be put to work in hundreds of ways. If you're programming embedded systems and need to understand the chips at the deepest level, or even if you're just curious, you're sure to find what you need in this book. It's all here, from the nuts and bolts of a programming reference to the big picture that only a true expert can deliver. So buy the book. Take it home. Step inside. And see MIPS run.
- Written by an independent consultant whose business is understanding MIPS architecture and embedded systems programming.
- Addresses the evolution of MIPS technology, giving you a solid foundation for successful designs and implementations.
- Provides an in-depth, easy-to-use guide to the MIPS instruction set, including special attention to processor control and assembler mnemonics for every instruction.
- Covers everything from MIPS I to MIPS IV, with appendices devoted to the optional MIPS 16 instruction set and V/MDMX.
Dominic Sweetman is a member of the last generation of programmers who could reasonably hope to understand computer systems from bottom to top. His rich career began with low-level coding, progressing from OS development to LANs to distributed systems. Dominic is an experienced designer and developer of hardware systems, CPUs, networks, and operating systems. He was a founder member of Whitechapel Workstations, and in 1988 founded Algorithmics, a MIPS consulting firm of which he is the director. Dominic lives with his partner, two grown-up children and three cats in north London.
- Elsevier Science & Technology Books
- Publication date:
- The Morgan Kaufmann Series in Computer Architecture and Design
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.41(w) x 9.26(h) x 1.04(d)
Table of ContentsContents
Style and Limits
RISCs and MIPS
Coprocessor 0: MIPS Processor Control
Caches for MIPS
Exceptions, Interrupts, and Initialization
Memory Management and the TLB
Complete Guide to the MIPS Instruction Set
Assembler Language Programming
C Programming on MIPS
Portability Considerations and C Code
Appendix A: Instruction Timing and Optimization
Appendix B: Assembler Language Syntax
Appendix C: Object Code
Appendix D: Evolving MIPS
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >