Seeking Employment in Criminal Justice and Related Professions / Edition 2by J. Scott Harr, Karen M. Hess
Pub. Date: 11/28/1995
Publisher: West Group
As competition for positions in all areas of criminal justice and law enforcement increases, it's vital that you have a carefully planned job search strategy that matches your goals for a career in the field. Harr and Hess help you develop that strategy -- providing specific information on many criminal justice professions, helpful tips on resumes and cover letters, and practical advice on interview techniques. You'll learn the latest statistics on what areas within the field are experiencing job growth and where to find the best salaries. And with the help of the enclosed Careers in Criminal Justice Interactive CD-ROM, you'll assess and profile your own strengths and interests and view actual video profiles of criminal justice professionals.
Inside you'll find:
- The latest information on using the Internet to research careers and find job openings
- New coverage of careers in the rapidly growing fields of forensics, juvenile justice, and community corrections -- plus information on criminal justice careers in non-criminal justice fields
- Valuable tips for getting an internship and getting the greatest benefit from the experience
- A motivating new chapter on how to plan for rehire after losing a job
- "Insider's View" vignettes by professionals in the field, offering their personal experiences and advice on how they succeeded in their chosen area of criminal justice.
- West Group
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- Older Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 7.39(w) x 10.06(h) x 0.56(d)
Table of ContentsSECTION 1: THE CHALLENGE. 1. Employment Trends: The World of Work. 2. Careers in Law Enforcement. 3. Careers in Courts and Corrections. 4. Careers in Private Security. SECTION 2: MEETING THE CHALLENGE: PREPARING. 5. Choosing a Career: Know the Job and Yourself. 6. Physical Fitness and Testing. 7. Other Forms of Testing. 8. Attributes of Successful Candidates. 9. The Resume: Selling Yourself on Paper. 10. Preparing for Not Getting the Job. SECTION 3: JOB-SEEKING STRATEGIES. 11. The Application Process: Finding and Applying for Jobs. 12. Your Job-Seeking Uniform: Presenting Yourself as the One to Hire. 13. The Interview: A Closer Look. SECTION 4: YOUR FUTURE IN YOUR CHOSEN PROFESSION. 14. At Last! You've Got the Job! Congratulations! 15. The Career Ladder: Insights Into Promotion. 16. Losing Your Job; Planning for Rehire. APPENDICES. INDEX.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >