2012 Paperback New Book New and in stock. 1/26/2012. *****PLEASE NOTE: This item is shipping from an authorized seller in Europe. In the event that a return is necessary, you ...will be able to return your item within the US. To learn more about our European sellers and policies see the BookQuest FAQ section*****Read moreShow Less
Here’s practical guidance for developing a sound understanding of both the content and pedagogy of phonics. Pre-service and in-service teachers alike can turn to this self-regulating, self-monitoring resource to make phonics more easily understood and useable in the classroom with a minimum of instruction, at their own pace. Self-Paced Phonics: A Text for Educators, Fifth Edition, is particularly teacher-friendly and immediately applicable to Web-based instructional models. This new edition pays particular attention to the unique needs of multicultural and multilingual children. It includes more examples illustrating particular phonics elements and expands significantly the practices and cumulative reviews, providing more opportunities for students to work with both the content and pedagogy of phonics.
· Readers get meaningful, manageable units of learning and immediate feedback for better understanding of the principles and pedagogy of phonics through chapter practices, cumulative reviews, pretests, and post-tests.
· Educators can complete the book with a minimum of direct instruction, at their own pace.
· Practicing teachers get to see phonics instruction in context and are better able to understand both the content and pedagogy of phonics.
· Readers get opportunities for further exploration of phonics and related topics through an Additional Web-Based Resources section that points readers to a number of helpful websites.
· Teachers get sound advice on dealing effectively with the challenges of teaching phonics in today’s diverse, multilingual classrooms.
· Educators get up-to-date information on the changes in Federal policy initiatives related to No Child Left Behind and Race to the Top.
Product dimensions: 7.30 (w) x 8.90 (h) x 0.50 (d)
Meet the Author
Dr. Roger S. Dow is Director of the Reading Clinic and the Graduate Reading Program at Frostburg State University where he has taught for over 30 years. Prior to coming to Frostburg, Dr. Dow received his Ph.D. from The Ohio State University in reading and in psychology. He is an active member of the International Reading Association, with varied interests in linguistics and foreign languages as they relate to English.
Dr. G. Thomas Baer is Emeritus Professor in the Department of Curriculum and Instruction at Illinois State University where he has taught for over 35 years. During his tenure, he has served as Elementary Education Coordinator, Department Chair, and instructor of elementary education courses specializing in reading instruction.