Introduction: Scarlett Redux
1. "Holding Excitement in Their Hands": The Southern "Girl Problem"
2. Spirited Youth or Fiends Incarnate?
3. "Just as Much a Menace": Race and Sex Delinquency
4. "A Head Full of Diamonds": Fact, Fiction, and African American Girls' Sexuality
5. "Living in Hopes": An Economy of Desire
6. Sex, Science, and Eugenic Sterilization
7. The World War II Pickup Girl and Wartime Passions
8. School Days: Reading, 'Riting, 'Rithmetic, and Romance
9. Would Jesus Dance? The Dangerous Rhythms of Rock 'n' Roll
10. The Sexual Paradox of High School Desegregation
Conclusion: Sex, Memory, and the Segregated Past