Sexuality and Gender / Edition 1by Christine L. Williams
Pub. Date: 12/28/2001
The essays included here reflect differences in race, gender and class and demonstrate how different social groups experience different sets of social norms. Topics include gender and sex theory, identity, childhood and adolescent sexuality, the objectification of women, sexuality and religion, leisure and recreation, politics and social change and the possible
The essays included here reflect differences in race, gender and class and demonstrate how different social groups experience different sets of social norms. Topics include gender and sex theory, identity, childhood and adolescent sexuality, the objectification of women, sexuality and religion, leisure and recreation, politics and social change and the possible future of sexual relationships.
Table of Contents
List of Contributors.
Part I: Thinking About Sexuality.
1. Higamous-Hogamous (Dorothy Dinnerstein).
2. Symbolic Interaction and Sexual Conduct: An Emergent Perspective (Ken Plummer).
3. Pleasure Under Patriarchy (Catharine MacKinnon).
4. A Queer Encounter: Sociology and the Study of Sexuality (Steve Epstein).
Part II: Gender and Sexual Identities.
5. The Naked Citadel (Susan Faludi).
6. Subject Honor and Object Shame: The Construction of Male Homosexuality and Stigma in Nicaragua (Roger Lancaster).
7. Copycat (Kath Weston).
8. Sexuality and Gender in Certain Native American Tribes: The Case of Cross-Gender Females (Evelyn Blackwood) .
Part III: Sexuality in Childhood and Adolescence.
9. Sexuality and Gender in Children's Daily Worlds (Barrie Thorne and Zella Luria).
10. I Couldn't Ever Picture Myself Having Sex.: Gender Differences in Sex and Sexual Subjectivity (Karen A. Martin).
11. The Punk Guys Will Really Overpower What the Punk Girls Have to Say: The Boy's Turf (Excerpt) (Lauraine Leblanc).
12. Tough Times: Susan Carver (Elaine Bell Kaplan) .
Part IV: Sexual Objectification.
13. The Sexual Politics of Black Womanhood (Patricia Hill Collins).
14. Live Sex Acts: Women Performing Erotic Labor (Excerpt) (Wendy Chapkis).
15. Working for Men: At the Intersection of Power, Gender, and Sexuality (Meika Loe).
16. Boundary Lines: Labeling Sexual Harassment in Restaurants (Patti Giuffre and Christine Williams) .
Part V: Sexuality and Religion.
17. Breaking Walls, Raising Fences: Masculinity, Intimacy, and Accountability Among the Promise Keepers (John Bartkowski).
18. Sex Segregated Living: Celebrating the Female (Debra Renee Kaufman).
19. The Metropolitan Community Churches and the Gay Agenda: The Power of Pentecostalism and Essentialism (R. Stephen Warner).
20. The Muslim Concept of Active Female Sexuality (Fatima Mernissi).
Part VI: Leisure and Recreation.
21. Publicity Traps: Television Talk Shows and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Visibility (Joshua Gamson).
22. Girls, Media, and the Negotiation of Sexuality: A Study of Race, Class, and Gender in Adolescent Peer Groups (Meenakshi Gigi Durham).
23. Becoming 100 Percent Straight (Michael Messner).
24. Fantasy Islands: Exploring the Demand for Sex Tourism (Julia O'Connell Davidson and Jacqueline Sanchez Taylor) .
Part VII: Sexual Politics and Social Change.
25. Sex and Society (Robert T. Michael, John H. Gagnon, Edward O. Laumann and Gina Kolata).
26. A Place Called Home: A Queer Political Economy Mexican Immigrant Men's Family Experiences (Lionel Cantu).
27 Gay and Lesbian Families Are Here; All Our Families Are Queer; Let's Get Used to It! (Judith Stacey).
28 Social Control, Civil Liberties, and Women's Sexuality (Beth Schneider and Valerie Jones).
Part VIII: Future Directions.
29. Beyond the Closet? The Changing Social Meaning of Homosexuality in the US (Steven Seidman, Chet Meeks, and Francie Traschen).
30. Intimacy as Democracy (Anthony Giddens).
31. Intimacy Transformed? A Critical Look at the Pure Relationship (Lynn Jamieson).
32. The Five Sexes: Why Male and Female Are Not Enough (Anne Fausto-Sterling).
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >