Shaping School Culture: Pitfalls, Paradoxes, and Promises--Second Edition / Edition 2by Terrence E. Deal, Kent D. Peterson
Pub. Date: 03/03/2009
A Guide for Shaping Your School's Culture In this thoroughly revised and updated edition of their classic book, Shaping School Culture, Terrence Deal and Kent Peterson address the latest thinking on organizational culture and change and offer new ideas and strategies on how stories, rituals, traditions, and other cultural practices can be used to create positive,… See more details below
A Guide for Shaping Your School's Culture In this thoroughly revised and updated edition of their classic book, Shaping School Culture, Terrence Deal and Kent Peterson address the latest thinking on organizational culture and change and offer new ideas and strategies on how stories, rituals, traditions, and other cultural practices can be used to create positive, caring, and purposeful schools. This new edition gives expanded attention to the important symbolic roles of school leaders, including practical suggestions on how leaders can balance cultural goals and values against accountability demands, and features new and powerful case examples throughout. Most important, the authors show how school leaders can transform negative and toxic cultures so that trust, commitment, and sense of unity can prevail.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Sales rank:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 8.90(h) x 0.90(d)
Table of Contents
The Elements of Culture.
1. Schools as Tribes: The Power to Transform.
2. Artifacts, Architecture, and Routines: Symbols of Culture.
3. History: The Value of Lore and Tradition.
4. Myth, Vision, and Values: Discovering a Schools Highest Calling.
5. Stories and Tales: Passing Along the Vision.
6. Rituals: Embedding Purpose and Meaning.
7. Ceremonies and Traditions: Culture in Action.
8. Conveyors of Culture: Positive and Negative Transmitters.
The Symbolic Role of School Leaders.
9. Weaving the Cultural Tapestry: Seven Schools.
10. Transforming Toxic Cultures: Renewal Strategies.
11. Building Trust: Connecting to Parents and Communities.
12. Strengthening Culture: Eight Essential Roles.
13. Living with Paradox: The Bifocal Principal.
14. Achieving Balance: Meeting Cultural and Structural Demands.
15. Conclusion: Opportunities for the Future.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >
This book is worth reading if you want to develop a deeper understanding of school culture. However, some of the examples seemed a little disconnected from the reality of public schools, and there was not enough on how to engage with current educational reforms.