Skin: The Complete Guide to Digitally Lighting, Photographing, and Retouching Faces and Bodiesby Lee Varis
What is the color of skin?
You may think you know, until you try to reproduce what you see. Differences in software, hardware, lighting, calibration—everything has an impact on color. And that's all before you confront the differences between people: young, old, male, female, different ethnicities, wearing makeup or not, wrinkled or/b>… See more details below
What is the color of skin?
You may think you know, until you try to reproduce what you see. Differences in software, hardware, lighting, calibration—everything has an impact on color. And that's all before you confront the differences between people: young, old, male, female, different ethnicities, wearing makeup or not, wrinkled or tattooed—even their notions about what looks good!
In this new edition of his hot-selling guide, top Hollywood photo-illustrator Lee Varis guides you step by step through the maze. Find out how he lights, captures, color-corrects, and retouches images of people in all their variety—using the very latest Photoshop and Lightroom tools—and discover his secrets to making people look compelling in their own skin.
- Understanding the basics of digital capture and workflow
- Starting with the right hardware and software settings
- Developing your digital color "chops"
- Mastering Rembrandt lighting, natural lighting, and other lighting techniques
- Overcoming common digital skin problems, such as too much red
- Composing shots, posing models, and taking formal portraits or candid shots
- Trimming the fat, lighting up the eyes, and filling in wrinkles
- Using new blur filters, creating a grunge look, and adding dazzling effects
- Sharpening, soft proofing, and simulating, so you can print with success
- Discovering what can and what can't be done in post-process
Learn new camera calibration techniques
Understand lighting for many different effects
Discover color-correction techniques for every type of skin
Learn new special effects like HDR Toning in Photoshop CS5
A Hollywood photoillustrator with 30 years of experience, Varis has been published in National Geographic, Newsweek, and Fortunemagazines. Far from a manual on fashion or nude photography, this is a comprehensive tutorial on how to photograph all types of people: young, old, and dozens of ethnic varieties. Varis supplements the book with a CD of numerous before-and-after sample image files and technical reference materials. He begins with a discussion of the right hardware and software and how to configure them, then teaches digital color management and lighting techniques as they apply to portraiture. He also provides in-depth chapters on retouching and special effects, including such techniques as skin smoothing, beauty retouching, screen diffusion, and depth of field effects. Highly recommended for serious students.
Read an Excerpt
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >