Read an Excerpt
My friend and cookbook author Catherine Fliegel would make her famous Lemon Chicken when we would get together with our kids for a family dinner. Her recipe was breaded and sautéed, and delicious. When I make this recipe, the lemon shines through and makes me think of her and those wonderful evenings together.
2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
Freshly ground black pepper
2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1 garlic clove, minced, or 1.2 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1 tablespoon capers, drained
1/4 cup chicken broth
1/4 cup white wine
1. Coat the inside of a 3 1.2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray, if desired.
2. Sprinkle chicken breasts liberally with salt and pepper. Transfer to slow cooker.
3. Stir together remaining ingredients in a small bowl and pour over chicken in slow cooker.
4. Cover and cook on Low for 3 1.2 hours.
5. Taste, and season again with salt and pepper. Serve chicken with cooking liquid.
6. If a thicker sauce is desired, add 1 tablespoon cornstarch to a small bowl and stir in 1.4 cup liquid from slow cooker until cornstarch is fully dissolved and incorporated. Remove chicken to a serving platter and cover loosely with foil. Stir the cornstarch mixture into the cooking liquid. Turn the heat setting to High and leave the cover off. The liquid will thicken slightly into a sauce after about 15 minutes. Serve sauce over chicken.
Stir 1 (5-ounce) bag baby spinach into the hot finished sauce until wilted, and serve over chicken.
A lean ground beef works best for this recipe, inspired by my friend and cookbook author Rebecca Lang. If the small balls of fresh mozzarella are unavailable, sprinkle the layer with shredded mozzarella.
1 large egg
1/4 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1 tablespoon ketchup
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Freshly ground pepper
1/2 pound ground beef
4 small balls fresh mozzarella
1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
1. Coat the inside of a 3 1/2-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and prepare the aluminum foil sling (see page 13).
2. Beat the egg in a medium bowl. Stir in the onion, breadcrumbs, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and salt and pepper to taste in a small bowl. Add ground beef and combine well. Form into two 5 x 3-inch ovals. Transfer one oval to the center of the prepared slow cooker. Place the 4 mozzarella balls evenly down the center of the meat. Move the second oval on top of the mozzarella and press around the edges to seal. Pour tomato sauce over meatloaf.
3. Cover and cook on High for 3 hours. The meatloaf is cooked when an instant-read thermometer inserted into the middle of the loaf registers 165 degrees.
4. Remove cover, turn off slow cooker, and allow meatloaf to rest 10 minutes. Gather the four strips of the sling toward the center and lift to remove the loaf to a serving platter. Slide meatloaf off the foil with a spatula or knife. Serve warm.