Small Animal Internal Medicine - Elsevieron VitalSourceby Richard W. Nelson, C. Guillermo Couto
Learn to effectively recognize, diagnose, and treat common internal medical conditions with this invaluable reference. Small Animal Internal Medicine, Fourth Edition, emphasizes practical diagnostic approaches and focuses on the clinically relevant aspects of patient medical management. Extensive color illustrations, boxes, and algorithms, plus new photographs, schematic representations, and updated tables, set this book apart. With its highly functional design and clear, expert voice, this text delivers the most relevant information for the internal medical challenges you’re most likely to face.
- Utilizes a problem-oriented approach, beginning with a discussion of clinical signs and diagnostic recommendations and techniques and moving on to therapeutic considerations and management
- Each contributor is a recognized expert in his or her respective specialty.
- Limited number of authors provides consistency.
- Clear, step-by-step procedural guidelines thoroughly describe each procedure.
- Cross-referencing throughout the book reduces redundancy and makes information easy to locate.
- Suggested readings at the end of each chapter alert you to the latest research findings.
- Comprehensive drug tables provide recommended dosages and indications.
- Purposefully written to enhance critical thinking and decision-making skills based on clinical findings.
- Hundreds of summary boxes and tables allow quick access to clinical signs, etiology, differential diagnoses, drugs, and treatment.
- Full-color format brings you accurate visual depictions of specific disorders, diseases, and procedures.
- Two new section editors bring a fresh perspective.
- Discussion of Immune-Mediated Disorders has been significantly expanded and made into its own section.
- Hundreds of new, full-color photographs and quick reference tables throughout
- Completely updated drug and treatment guidelines tables
"The many tables, decision trees, drawings and photos highlight the key points which make for a very pleasant read. I bet that the previous edition of this major textbook is a bit dog-eared and so now is the time to invest. ROI* guaranteed. (*Return On Investment)" Reviewed by: Vet's Today Date: July 2014
"As a reference textbook for use on a day-today basis I would highly recommend this book. It lives up to its promises and really is a ‘practical, easy-to-use, quick, clear and logical’ text book for practitioners and students alike." Reviewed by: Veterinary Record Date: June 2014
Description: This is an up-to-date internal medicine textbook that covers essential topics in a thorough manner. It is full of excellent quality photos, algorithms, tables, schematics, and charts that serve to make the wealth of information accessible. The previous edition was published in 2009.
Purpose: The purpose, according to the authors, is to create a practical book with a strong clinical slant, which this book achieves nicely.
Audience: It is written for both practitioners and students, according to the authors. It will also benefit those in training (interns and residents).
Features: The book's 14 sections are divided by organ system and they cover these areas in a very thorough but concise way. For example, the cardiology section covers clinical manifestations, tests, heart failure, arrhythmias, congenital, myocardial, and pericardial diseases, heartworm disease, hypertension, and thromboembolic disease. Each section has only one author (an expert in that area) for all of the chapters. This engenders consistency and makes each of the sections more coherent (with less overlap) than if different authors had written each chapter. Each section has a multitude of visual images that enhance the text. For example, the cardiology section includes ECGs, thoracic radiographs, echo images, color flow Doppler, angiocardiograms, algorithms, tables, and pictures of clinically affected animals.
Assessment: This will make an excellent addition to the library of small animal veterinarians. It has numerous images, including pictures, diagrams, algorithms, radiographs, ultrasound and echo images, treatment tables, and ECG rhythm strips. This edition is appropriately updated and includes significant new material.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Sold by:
- Barnes & Noble
- NOOK Book
- File size:
- 97 MB
- This product may take a few minutes to download.
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >