Small Animal Toxicology - Pageburst E-Book on VitalSource (Retail Access Card) / Edition 3by Michael E. Peterson, Patricia A. Talcott
Pub. Date: 12/24/2012
Publisher: Elsevier Health Sciences
This revised and expanded reference is a valuable aid for the practicing veterinary clinician in diagnosing and determining treatment for toxic exposures in small animals, and for veterinary students as a supplement to their classroom instruction. It contains chapters addressings nontraditional areas of toxicology not covered in conventional toxicology texts. It also covers areas of toxicology which seem basic but are rarely discussed, such as taking a toxicological history, establishing a minimum database, providing supportive care, and managing emergency treatment of the poisoned patient. The book is organized into three sections, including 20 new chapters and new topics such as grapes and raisins, lilies, "Christmas time" plants, mercury, and accidental poisoning in non-traditional pets.
- Elsevier Health Sciences
- Publication date:
- Product dimensions:
- 6.00(w) x 9.00(h) x 0.40(d)
Table of Contents
Section 1: Toxicologic Concepts
1. General Toxicologic Principles
2. Toxicodynamics and Toxicokinetics NEW!
3. Toxicologic Information Resources
4. Taking a Toxicologic History
5. Initial Management of the Acutely Poisoned Patient
6. Establishing a Minimum Database in Small Animal Poisonings
7. Supportive Care of the Poisoned Patient
8. Toxicologic Decontamination
9. Approach to Diagnosis and Initial Treatment of the Toxicology Case
10. Effective Use of a Diagnostic Laboratory NEW!
11. Considerations in Pediatric and Geriatric Poisoned Patients
12. Considerations in Pregnant/Lactating Poisoned Patients NEW!
Section 2: General Exposures
13. Summary of Small Animal Poison Exposures
14. Adverse Drug Reactions
15. Miscellaneous Indoor Toxicants
16. Indoor Environmental Quality and Health
17. "Recreational" Drugs
18. Hazards Associated with the Use of Herbal and Other Natural Products
19. Household and Garden Plants
20. Use of Human Poison Centers in the Veterinary Setting
21. Disaster Management NEW!
22. House/Fire By-Products NEW!
23. Antidotes for Specific Toxins
24. Reproductive Toxicology of the Female Companion Animal
25. Reproductive Toxicology of the Male Companion Animal
26. Accidental Poisoning in Non-Traditional Pets NEW!
Section 3: Specific Toxicants
28. Amitraz NEW!
29. Amphibian Toxins - Frogs, Salamanders, Newts
30. Anticoagulant Rodenticides
31. Anticonvulsants NEW!
35. Carbon Monoxide
36. Cholecalciferol - Vitamin D
37. "Christmas time" Plants NEW!
38. Citrus Oils
43. Diethylene Glycol
45. Ethylene Glycol
46. Grapes and Raisins NEW!
47. Miscellaneous Herbicides, Fungicides, and Nematocides
48. Insects - Hymenoptera
51. Ivermectin - Macrolide Antiparasitic Agents
53. Lillies NEW!
55. Macadamia nuts NEW!
56. Mercury NEW!
59. Methylxanthines - Theobromine, Caffeine, Theophylline
60. Metronidazole NEW!
64. Nonsteroidal Anti-Inflammatories
65. Organochlorine Pesticides
66. Organophosphate and Carbamate Pesticides
67. Oxalate-containing Plants NEW!
69. Miscellaneous Parasiticides NEW!
70. Petroleum Hydrocarbons
71. Propylene Glycol
72. Pyrethrins and Pyrethroids
73. Ricin NEW!
74. Snake Bite: Pit Vipers
75. Snake Bite: Coral Snakes
76. Sodium NEW!
77. Sodium Monofluoroacetate - 1080
78. Spider - Black Widow
79. Spider - Brown Recluse
82. Vitamin A and other drugs affecting the skeletal system NEW!
83. Zinc Phosphide
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >