I'm Mark, founder of Smashwords. Our mission is simple: we want to create the world's single best ebook publishing and distribution platform for our indie authors, publishers, literary agents and retailers. I'm co-author with my wife of Boob Tube, a novel that explores the wild and wacky world of Hollywood celebrity. I also wrote the Smashwords Book Marketing Guide (how to market any book for free), the Smashwords Style Guide (how to format, produce and publish an ebook) and The 10-Minute PR Checklist (helps entrepreneurs and business managers think more strategically about public relations. It's not written for authors, though some authors find it valuable.). When I'm not writing or working on Smashwords, I enjoy gardening, traveling and hiking tall mountains, the tallest of which has been Mt. Kilimanjaro. Write me at first initial second initial at you know where dot com (though please direct all support inquires to the "comments/questions" link you'll find on any Smashwords page).
Smashwords Style Guideby Mark Coker
The Smashwords Style Guide has helped thousands of authors produce and publish high-quality ebooks. This free guide offers simple step-by-step instructions to professionally create, format and publish an ebook. It's required reading for any author who wants to distribute their book via Smashwords to major ebook retailers such as the Apple iBooks, Barnes & Noble,… See more details below
- LendMe LendMe™ Learn More
The Smashwords Style Guide has helped thousands of authors produce and publish high-quality ebooks. This free guide offers simple step-by-step instructions to professionally create, format and publish an ebook. It's required reading for any author who wants to distribute their book via Smashwords to major ebook retailers such as the Apple iBooks, Barnes & Noble, Scribd, Oyster and Kobo. Smashwords also distributes ebooks to public libraries via OverDrive and Baker & Taylor Axis 360.
The Smashwords Style Guide provides a great primer introduction on ebook publishing. Over 500,000 copies downloaded!
Updated September 24, 2014.
INSIDE THE SMASHWORDS STYLE GUIDE
Welcome to Smashwords!Do-it-yourself, or hire help? Good formatting examplesWhat Smashwords publishes, what we don’t publishHow to distribute books with SmashwordsHow ebook formatting is different from print formattingIntroduction to Meatgrinder: How we convert your book into multiple ebook formatsUnderstanding the different ebook formatsThe beauty and utility of simplicityAutoVetter helps identify common formatting errorsYour required source file
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
• Pre-Prep*Making Word BehaveStep 1: Make a back upStep 2: Activate Word’s Show/HideStep 3: Turn off Word’s “AutoCorrect” and “AutoFormat” featuresStep 4: Turn off Track ChangesStep 5: The Nuclear MethodStep 6: Hug a loved one
• Formatting*Step 7: Managing and modifying paragraph styles, fontsStep 7a. How to choose the best paragraph separation method (first line indent or block?)Step 7b: How to implement your chosen paragraph separation methodStep 7b-a: How to define a proper first line indentStep 7b-b: How to define trailing “after” space for block paragraphsStep 7b-c: Special tips for poetry, cookbooks and learning materialsStep 7b-d: How to define proper line spacingStep 7b-e: Managing font colorStep 8: Check your normalized textStep 9: How to automate the removal of tabs and space bar spacesStep 10: Managing paragraph returnsStep 11: Managing external hyperlinksStep 12: Designating chapter breaks, page breaks, section breaksStep 13: Working with imagesStep 14: Text justificationStep 14a: Centering textStep 15: Managing font sizesStep 16: Style formatting, symbols and glyphsStep 17: Headers and footersStep 18: Margins, page sizes and indentsStep 19: Add the Heading style to your Chapter headers (optional)
• Building Navigation*Step 20: Building navigation into the manuscriptStep 20a: Creating the NCXStep 20b: Creating the linked Table of ContentsStep 20c: Advanced link building (Footnotes, Endnotes)Step 20d: Troubleshooting and testing
• Front Matter*Step 21: Front matterStep 21a: Blurbs (optional)Step 21b: Title and copyright page (required!)Step 21c: Add a Smashwords license statement below copyright page
• The End of Your Book*Step 22: The end of your book
• POST-FORMATTING*Step 23: Preparing your cover imageStep 24: Review requirements for Premium Catalog distribution
• Uploading Your Book to Smashwords*Step 25: How to upload your bookStep 26: How AutoVetter worksStep 27: After you publish – check your workStep 27a: Check for EPUBCHECK compliance (important!)Distributing Your Book with SmashwordsStep 28: How Smashwords distribution works
• How to Market Your Book*Step 29: Read the Smashwords Book Marketing Guide (how to market any book)Step 30: Read the Secrets to Ebook Publishing Success (best-practices of successful authors)Step 31: Watch our video workshops on YouTube
• Helpful Resources*Send FeedbackAbout the Author
Meet the Author
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >