Social Problems / Edition 7by James M. Henslin
Pub. Date: 05/09/2005
Publisher: Allyn & Bacon, Inc.
This theoretically balanced book provides a thorough understanding of major social problems facing the United Statestheir causes, consequences, likely future course, and what can be done about them. It supplies readers with both the basic data and the sociological frameworks for interpreting it. Extensive learning tools helps users to easily understand potentially complex ideas and to relate concepts to their personal lives. A four-part organization covers the sociology of social problems, norm violations in social context, problems of social inequality, and social change and megaproblems. For those interested in a comprehensive look at the social problems of America, as well as their possible solutions.
Table of Contents
I. THE SOCIOLOGY OF SOCIAL PROBLEMS.
1. How Sociologists View Social Problems: The Abortion Dilemma.
2. Interpreting Social Problems: Aging
II. NORM VIOLATIONS IN SOCIAL CONTEXT.
3. Prostitution, Homosexuality, and Pornography.
4. Alcohol and Other Drugs.
5. Violence in Society: Rape and Murder.
6. Crime and Criminal Justice.
III. PROBLEMS OF SOCIAL INEQUALITY.
7. Economic Problems: Wealth and Poverty.
8. Race and Ethnic Relations.
9. Sex Discrimination.
10. Medical Care: Problems of Physical and Mental Illness.
IV. SOCIAL CHANGE AND MEGAPROBLEMS.
11. The Changing Family.
12. Urban Problems.
13. Population and Food.
14. The Environmental Crisis.
15. War, Terrorism, and the Balance of Power.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >