- Shopping Bag ( 0 items )
In the Sixth Edition of Society and Technological Change, Rudi Volti continues to bring both his enthusiasm and expertise to the student. Comprehensive in his discussion of both historical and contemporary technological advance, Volti never fails to explore the societal implications of each technology he presents. The new Sixth Edition has been fully updated to include recent technological innovation in such areas as genetics, communications, terrorism, and medicine. Further, updated photos throughout the book bring Volti's words to life.
Part 1. Orientations
1. The Nature of Technology
2. Winners and Losers: The Differential Effects of Technological Change
Part 2. The Process of Technological Change
3. The Sources of Technological Change
4. Scientific Knowledge and Technological Advance
5. The Diffusion of Technology
Part 3. How Technology Affects the Health of the Earth and Its Inhabitants
6. Technology, Energy, and the Environment
7. Medical and Biological Technologies
Part 4. Technology and the Transformation of Work
8. Work in Nonindustrial Societies
9. Technology and Jobs: More of One and Less of the Other?
10. Technological Change and Life on the Job
Part 5. Communication
12. The Electronic Media
Part 6. The Tools of Destruction
13. Weapons and Their Consequences
14. How New Weapons Emerge--And How They May Be Contained
Part 7. The Shaping and Control of Technology
15. Technology and Its Creators: Who's in Charge of Whom?
16. Organizations and Technological Change
17. Governing Technology Index
Posted July 20, 2012
This book is very densely packed with a lot of text. I decided to rent the eTextbook so it could help me save time and allow me to search for particular subjects. THERE IS NO SEARCH INDEX FOR THIS BOOK! Don't waste $30 like i did.Was this review helpful? Yes NoThank you for your feedback. Report this reviewThank you, this review has been flagged.