Sociocultural Perspectives in Social Psychology: Current Readings / Edition 1by Letitia Anne Peplau, Shelley E. Taylor
Pub. Date: 12/10/1996
A first of its kind, this innovative reader offers the most current findings on sociocultural issues in social psychology. This collection of readings presents new research and concepts about culture and ethnic minorities that are relevant to standard topics in social psychology. See more details below
A first of its kind, this innovative reader offers the most current findings on sociocultural issues in social psychology. This collection of readings presents new research and concepts about culture and ethnic minorities that are relevant to standard topics in social psychology.
- Publication date:
- Edition description:
- New Edition
- Product dimensions:
- 6.90(w) x 9.00(h) x 1.00(d)
Table of Contents
To the Reader.
A Guide to Sociocultural Resources in Social Psychology, Rosemary C. Veniegas and Letitia Anne Peplau.
1. The Study of Culture, Ethnicity, and Race in American Psychology, Hector Betancourt and Steven Regeser Lopez.
2. College Sophomores in the Laboratory: Influences of a Narrow Data Base on Psychology's View of Human Nature, David O. Sears.
3. "Most of the Subjects Were White and Middle Class": Trends in Published Research on African Americans in Selected APA Journals, 1970-1989, Sandra Graham.
II. PERCEIVING PEOPLE AND EVENTS.
4. Standing Out and Standing In: The Psychology of Control in America and Japan, John R. Weisz, Fred M. Rothbaum, and Thomas C. Blackburn.
5. Token Status and Problem-Solving Deficits: Detrimental Effects of Distinctiveness and Performance Monitoring, Delia S. Saenz.
6. Perceptions of Social Responsibilities in India and in the United States: Moral Imperatives or Personal Decisions?, Joan G. Miller, David M. Bersoff, and Robin L. Harwood.
7. Universals and Cultural Differences in the Judgments of Facial Expressions of Emotions, Paul Ekman and Associates.
III. THE SOCIAL SELF.
8. Culture and the Self: Implications for Cognition, Emotion, and Motivation, Hazel Rose Markus and Shinobu Kitayama.
9. Persuasion and Culture: Advertising Appeals in Individualistic and Collectivistic Societies, Sang-Pil Han and Sharon Shavitt.
10. Psychological Impact of Biculturalism: Evidence and Theory, Teresa LaFromboise, Hardin L.K. Coleman, and Jennifer Gerton.
11. Negotiating Social Identity When Contexts Change: Maintaining Identification and Responding to Threat, Kathleen A. Ethier and Kay Deaux.
IV. RELATING TO OTHERS.
12. Collectivism-Individualism in Everyday Social Life: The Middle Kingdom and the Melting Pot, Ladd Wheeler, Harry T. Reis, and Michael Harris Bond.
13. Individualistic and Collectivistic Perspectives on Gender and the Cultural Context of Love and Intimacy, Karen K. Dion and Kenneth L. Dion.
14. Cooperation-Competition and Self-Esteem: A Case of Cultural Relativism, Spencer Kagan and George P. Knight.
15. Violence and U.S. Regional Culture, Richard E. Nisbett.
V. SOCIAL PSYCHOLOGY IN LIFE.
16. Race and the Schooling of Black Americans, Claude M. Steele.
17. The Sociocultural Context of African-American and White American Women's Rape, Gail Elizabeth Wyatt.
18. The Pace of Life, Robert V. Levine.
19. Cultural Perspectives on International Negotiations, Paul R. Kimmel.
and post it to your social network
Most Helpful Customer Reviews
See all customer reviews >